3. First impression

Edited: 1 June, 2020

The following day, I was walking across the school with Yojin, trying to figure out a way, how to get close to Jimin. He seemed unapproachable to say the least and I knew nothing about him, which certainly made my job even more difficult than it already was. I just needed something that didn't let the conversation die after two sentences. Of course, if he decided to reply in the first place.

As if I got hit by a lightning, I turned towards Yojin with curious eyes. Her expression seemed puzzled as she studied my face. She knew me well enough to know I was up to something.

"How did you know what kind of a person Jimin was?" I blurted it out and she started blushing. For a second my throat tightened. There was only one explanation my mind could conjure. "Wait, do you like him?" I asked, my eyes wide open in surprise.

"What? No, not at all." She shook her head frantically.

"Then how?" I frowned. She heaved a sigh and stopped in her tracks. I joined her and waited for her to talk.

"You see, back in the day I was one of those fangirls who followed the boys around." I looked at her in disbelief. Would have never expected such a reply from her. "I knew every bits of their life, from where they went, what they did, how they behaved. Looking back, I honestly feel ashamed." She shook her head as her neck hid between her shoulders, while looking at her shoes. "Back then I had a crush on Hoseok, one of Jimin's friends. He always had a huge grin plastered on his face, he was never upset or sad. He was like the light. And It made me want to get to know him. Just like you." She smiled sadly. "But then I realised that I didn't have a chance. What are the odds of ever getting together with the man you like, when a bunch of other girls are after him? I was never as confident as you, so I just gave up." I wrapped my arms around her shoulder and pulled her into a gentle hug.

"You should have tried harder. You are beautiful. He is stupid not to realise your presence." A soft smile appeared on her face. "Do you still like him?"

"I mean... I don't know. I guess. He is just this happy bubble, that makes you smile." She giggled at her thoughts, which I assumed were memories of Hoseok.

"Then, I guess, It's decided. My mission will be to get you and Hoseok together, while I finally get to know Jimin." Her eyes widened at my plan.

"Wait, I didn't want to get involved in it. Back in the day when I liked him, they didn't have such a reputation. I don't want trouble." She spoke as if she was afraid.

"I think we have already established that they were probably just rumours." I reminded her.

"But..." She started, but I cut her off.

"Look, what's the worst that could happen? He will continue to act like you don't exist. What's the best that could happen? He might just ask you out, finally." I tried to convince her.

"But I would feel so embarrassed, if he rejected me." Her innocent look, almost forced me to give in, but I decided against it.

"I would rather feel embarrassed, than think about all the 'what if's that I could have changed." I raised an eyebrow.

"Y/N, I understand where you are going with this. But you know me. You know the school. You know their fangirls. I would never be able to handle being bullied. I would break down." She sniffed, while her eyes watered up, and I knew she remembered back at her worst memories.

"Okay, I will find another way." I replied with a soft smile, deciding that pushing it might not be the best decision.

As I was walking down the corridor, I realised that Yojin didn't join me. I turned around to look at her, standing in the same spot, eyes fixated on her shoes. I walked back to her, linked our arms and started pulling her after me. But she stopped. I looked at her with a confused expression.