9. Dead serious

Edited: 3 June, 2020

After spring break finished, we were ready to get back into our normal school schedule. I was rather worried for Yojin. She was distant and almost on the verge of being paranoid. As soon as we arrived to the school and stepped inside the building, she was about to turn around, but just before she could have, I got hold of her wrist and gently pulled her back.

"Don't be scared, everything is going to be just fine." I tried to calm her nerves. Throughout the spring break, noone called her or visited her unexpectedly. There was no indications that the girls were planning on doing something. I tried to force Yojin to understand that, but she was a rather hard nut to crack. Before anything could have happened, she was already imagining the worst case scenarios. Lack of sleep showed clearly across her face, through the dark circles under her eyes. She was constantly looking behind her as if someone was following her around. She kept checking her phone, waiting for a threat to come through. It was sickening to watch her feeling so afraid.

I dragged her to the lockers to prepare ourselves for the first class. Yojin just sighed heavily, she didn't want to be anywhere near the school. She opened her locker, just as I did and in seconds the next thing I heard was her silent scream. I frowned at her behaviour, but I walked over to see what was happening.

Looking into her locker, my eyes widened in surprise and my face turned into a grimace at the disgusting sight. There was a dead body of a rat or a mouse like animal, laying on top of her books, its blood sipping through the papers, on some places dried already. I wasn't sure what to think, how to think. Hell, I didn't even know how to react in such situation.

The soft giggling however quickly forced my emotions to change. I turned around to see three girls, standing across the corridor with a wicked smile across their face. I didn't need a verbal confirmation to know who planted the deceased animal in my best friend's locker. I felt my blood boil, my cheeks heat up, my breathing quicken. My mind went blank in seconds and I was ready to pounce on the girls, no questions asked.

Just as I was about to rush over to them, two strong arms sneaked around my torso, capturing my arms in the hold. I tried getting out of it, I tried kicking, pulling, anything to get rid of my capturer, but my efforts seemed useless. After a couple of tries, giving up on trying to get out of the strong hold, I realised my attempts were failing more and more. I tried to calm myself down, before I decided to turn around and confront the culprit. My eyes widened at the sight of a heavily breathing, sweating Jimin.

 My eyes widened at the sight of a heavily breathing, sweating Jimin

"Don't do it!" He spoke, his voice hoarse. "I know what happened, but if you plan on doing anything right now, you will just prove them how easy it is to toy with you."

"It's not easy to toy with me. It's not a game. It's not a joke, Jimin." I was breathing heavily as anger started to return and take over my body again. His hands didn't leave my arms, staying cautious. "They put a bloody dead rat into my best friend's locker. How am I supposed to react? Shake hands? Oh no. That isn't me. I will make them suffer."

"Stop it!" He pulled me closer, forcing me to look straight into his dark irises. "Look at your friend. Yojin is in utter shock. She needs you more to be beside her, than to lose control." I turned away to see Yojin, who was looking into her locker, tears streaming down her cheeks, her emotions hidden. "If you do something now, they will suspend you, they could even expel you. You don't need that now. She doesn't need that now. She needs you."

I got out of his hold and fixed my cloths. I looked over to the girls, who were previously giggling, however this time, they had a rather furious expression across their face. I shrugged with a grimace and turned back to Jimin.

"How did you know what happened?" I asked.

"Namjoon overheard them on the morning, talking about what they have done. I had a feeling you would go ballistic on them, so I decided to rush over, before you could have done anything, you later regretted."

"Well, you saved them now, but don't expect me to just let it slide. First thing, I will surely report this to the principal." I walked up to Yojin, took a couple of photos of her lockers, then taking out a plastic bag from my bag, I placed the dead animal's body inside. I turned back to the girls, after closing Yojin's locker and smirked. "Smile." I said and took a photo of them. They were shocked and angry and that's exactly what I wanted. Ignoring their presence I turned back to Yojin, grabbed her arm gently and started pulling her to the principal's office.

We sat down, waiting for the secretary to let us in, instructing her of a disturbing situation, that was happening on school grounds, but not letting her get involved fully with the details. It barely took a couple of minutes before we entered the office. He was sitting across the room in his chair, but as soon as he saw us, he stood up and offered a seat for both of us, on the other side of his table.

Yojin sat down immediately, but I stood still. I placed the plastic bag on the table and looked up at him, waiting for a reaction. He leaned closer, questioning me what that was about. I explained to him that the girls on the photo I took, planted the animal in my friends locker and I also told him that they have threatened us. He promised to start an investigation, but as a lack of proof, he couldn't get the girls involved for anything more than a simple interview. I just nodded, knowing what I had was basically nothing against them.

After leaving the principal's office, we deliberately missed the rest of the classes. We walked to the park, next to the school and sat down on a bench. I started stroking Yojin's back soothingly, to make her feel better, but I wasn't sure what to do. I didn't know what she felt, what she was thinking, what she wanted to do, what she wanted me to do. The only solution, I saw as an option, was to force her to talk.

"Yojin..." I called her, but she kept gazing down on the ground, her neck hiding between her shoulders, her back hunched forward. "Yojin, please talk to me." I tried again, but she showed no reaction. "Yojin, please don't keep it inside. It will not help."

"I just..." She started. "I'm not really sure... what to say... what to think." Silent tears ran down her face, but she forcefully removed them. "I expected threatening letters or even anonymous phone calls, but I didn't expect this." She finally started sobbing. I pulled her into a hug, petting her back lightly, letting her realise all the frustration she has been harbouring. She slowly pulled away and looked up at me. "Y/N, what's going to happen next? Are they going to hurt me? She sobbed, tears filling up her eyes, blurring her vision. "I don't know what to do. I just want to disappear." She hid her face in my neck and continued sobbing uncontrollably.

"I know, it's hard to believe right now, but it will be okay. Everything will be okay." I ran my fingers through her hair, playing with the ends. "I am here for you and I will help you through it. If anyone even tries to lay a hand on you, I will be there to make them regret it." I was sure she could barely hear me from the loud sobs leaving her lungs, but she didn't need to. She just had to let it all out of her system to be able to think with a straight, clear head again.

I wasn't sure what was waiting for us, I didn't know what was about to happen, but I didn't even want to think of that. I just knew I would be there for her. 

Notes: If you enjoyed it, don't forget to like the chapter. Thank you :)