Chapter 22: Mika's Trial

~Three Weeks Later~

It was now time for Mika's trial.

Atemu and Heba had come from Domino because Atemu was going to have to testify as well.

Yugi, Yami, Atemu, and Heba were outside the courthouse at eight-thirty, half an hour before the trial was supposed to start. Yami's lawyer, Hiro Tanikashi, was there as well.

"So, everyone ready to have to deal with all of this?" Yami asked.

"I just want this to be over with." Yugi said.

"I wonder what lies Mika will try to tell this time." Atemu muttered.

"If she lies under oath, she'll be charged with perjury." Hiro said.

"I don't think that Mika cares about that right now." Yami said.

"In any case, we should get on in." Hiro said.

The four entered the courthouse and headed to the courtroom. They found that the courtroom was packed.

"Hey, Yami. Atemu."

The four turned and saw Tristan and Tea come up to them.

"What are you two doing here?" Yami asked.

"Thought that we would come and support our friends." Tristan said.

"Yeah. We figured you could use the support. Besides, I want to see her pay for what she did." Tea said.

"That's good to know. It should be starting soon." Heba said.

The group of six sat down to wait for the court session to start.

"I thought that there were going to be camera to air this trial." Yugi said.

"The judge who's presiding over the case is a man who hates it when his trials are broadcast, so he said no to the TV cameras, despite the fuss that was being made over it. He's a stickler for order, so I know that there's not a chance that he'll put up with any crap." Yami said.

It wasn't long before Mika was brought out and sat down by her lawyer. She had glared at Yugi when she saw him.

"Pretty clear that she hates your guts, Yugi." Heba said.

"I really don't care what she thinks." Yugi replied.

An officer said, "All rise for the honorable Judge Jerry Hanimine presiding."

Everyone stood up as the judge walked up to the bench.

"Be seated." Hanimine said.

Everyone did sit down.

"Now, let's begin." Hanimine said.

The DA, Ben Sandavolve, stood up. "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury. I am going to prove to you to today that Ms. Mika Hano broke into the apartment of Yugi Mutou with intention of bring harm to him. She planned the murder him and when things went bad, tried to blame everything on him. I will show you that she is a cold woman who almost ended a young man's life." Sandavolve said before sitting down.

The defense, Greg Morris, stood up. "Mika Hano did not do anything wrong. She went to the apartment with the intention of talking to Yugi Mutou and trying to apologize. He was the one who lashed out and she defended herself again him. She shot him in self-defense." Morris said before sitting down.

The judge listened to the opening arguments. "Mr. Sandavolve, call your first witness." Hanimine said.

Sandavolve stood up and said, "The prosecution calls Captain Hanel Hanirashi to the stand."