Chapter 4 - Scores

Chapter 4

Scores

I screamed with rage as I saw WINTER in my bed with no shirt on! I immediately grabbed a pillow and non-stop whacking him with it. Swearing and cursing at him to get out of my bed. Then I jumped on the bed and clawed at his face with my razor sharp nails. My mom says that I have tiger nails because I rarely clip them.

He screeched at the top of his lungs and hopped out of my bed and ran to his crying. I huffed and puffed then looked at my nails. Blood was splattered all over them... What am I? What did these games turn me into? A hurting machine... That's why the careers want me. To protect them I guess...

I feel so used.... So I just go into bed and think about what I would do if I survived and came home. Probably cry... I stare at the ceiling and think about the scores. Tomorrow we show off our skills then they grade us. I need to get a knife and show them what I can do... If I have a low score, people will think I am weak and chase me.

If they think I am strong they will back off and be threatened. So I just close my eyes and relax... It's tomorrow's problem. Not now. I can deal with it tomorrow. I start to drift out into my dreams and fall asleep.

****

I feel a small pressure on my body and open one eye. I see Penetra siting on my hip glaring at me. I smirk and get up. I yawn and stare at her back.

"You nearly clawed open Winter's face!!" Penetra yelled.

I blushed and glanced at my nails again. I had a dried up blood stain on them and I hoisted my shoulder up. Penetra rolled her eyes and walked out of my room. I sighed and got dressed. I wore a silk grey shirt and pants. They had the number 24 on the shirt so I just put it on inside out. I don't want to be part of this so called honor. So I wore it inside out.

I walked to the kitchen and saw Winter glare at me with his face all scratched up. Woah... I didn't realize how much I hurt him. All he did was glare and growl at me. I blushed and quickly stuffed some biscuits in my mouth. Then we went into the elevator to go to the scores.

Once we arrived I was placed in a room with Winter. I stared at his face and observed the scratches. Deep down in my heart I am super sorry...

Minutes passed and finally I heard my name. The Capitol people all watch every single thing I do so I pick up a knife. Perfectly pointed and sharp. I sighed and began.

****

"Destiny Soer has a score of 10," Grail Sendert announced.

(AUTHORS NOTE: I DON'T THINK CEASAR WAS ALIVE OR OLD ENOUGH WHEN THIS WAS HAPPENING LOL XD)

They just continued to babble about people's horrible scores. Then finally they got up to 9.

"Winter Collins with a score of," Grail paused, "8."

Everybody gasped and started to applaud. For a low district like 9 an 8 is pretty much like AMAZING!! But for Winter I just rolled my eyes and waited for me. Then you saw my face go across the screen. My hair up in the usually bun and my sky blue eyes just popped out. I smiled proud and waited for my score.

"Leena Schore with a score of... 11," Grail said shocked when his eyes lit up.

Everybody gasped. Including me. What...? A 11...!?!? How is this actually possible?!?! A 11 and 12 are only for the best tributes ever. Everybody cheered me on and applauded. I smiled and my eyes were locked on the eleven on the screen. Then it turned to District 10 and I just blinked blankly.

Penetra gave me a pat on the back and smiled. I bit my tongue and sighed. I just can't believe this... I took in a deep breathe and smiled again. I don't think I will ever stop smiling! Then something popped into my mind. The games... That's when I will stop. Tears rolled down my eyes. I am so scared... Sure I got a good score but it all depends on my strategy.

I tried to suck it up because tomorrow was the interviews. I made a fake smile and that was the end of the night.