[14]

"your job as a police officer is to find out who the hell killed my daughter! this is so frustrating. i'm so stressed out, and you can do nothing about it? i swear! this always happens to me!"

his grandmother thought taehyung couldn't hear, but he could hear everything.

rose, his dog, nuzzled his hands as a sign of comfort.

the call ended and he could hear his grandmother open the door of his room.

taehyung was frowning, petting rose to try and calm himself down.

it's all my fault, he thought. if i hadn't caused this, grandma wouldn't be so upset.

"taehyungie, dinner's ready." she said with a calm and soft voice, as if she wasn't the woman who was just yelling in irritation at a police officer.

"oh, uh, okay." he got up awkwardly.

his grandmother shot him a small soft smile, trying to pinch his cheeks but gasped.

there was nothing to pinch.

"gosh, taehyung, please eat. i can't pinch your cheeks!" his grandmother ushered him over to the table.

"can you make cookies for dessert?" he asked quietly.

"oh, of course!" his grandmother replied. "just eat dinner."

it was quiet, but taehyung's mind was filled with deep dark thoughts he felt like not sharing. the worst part was that school started next monday.

"so, are you looking forward to school?" his grandmother smiled.

"hmh, oh? oh, yeah. school," he replied.