19 (1): The Veterans v. The Amateurs

Ch. 19, Part 1

 19, Part 1

After World War II, Black soldiers hoped that their military service would serve as a powerful claim to equal citizenship for African Americans

After World War II, Black soldiers hoped that their military service would serve as a powerful claim to equal citizenship for African Americans. When they came home, they encountered fierce resistance from white supremacists determined to reassert the prewar racial order. This inspired many of them to agitate for civil rights when they returned to civilian life. They'll let you fight for their country, but won't treat you as equals. They were equal enough to be on the battlefield with you, but not equal on American soil. Happy Veterans Day to all the African American men & women willing to fight for a country who never fights for us!
-Z.D.

I sit in the backseat as Markel sits in the front passenger seat as one of his frat brother's drives the car. I post the update to my blog then lock my phone looking up to see we're pulling up to Nubia's apartment building. Today we're going to be volunteering at a dinner for African American Veterans thrown by Howard. I dial Nubia's number as the car stops at the curb waiting for her to answer. When it goes to voicemail I groan then say, "I'll just go inside and get her. She always does this. I'll be back," I say opening the backseat door getting out.

Nubia will literally be texting you just 5 minutes prior, but when you call her she doesn't answer. It's like she throws her phone somewhere then just walks away from it. I walk through the revolving doors of her building walking past the doorman without being questioned because he knows my face. Nubia lived in the most expensive apartments you could find near campus reminding me oh, yeah, she has rich parents.

A lot of people wonder why we just don't live together like most friends, but as friends we know that won't work. We would end up killing each other. I like peace and quiet, Nubia likes noise 24 hours a day and is nocturnal, while Sahara is just a slob. After living in a dorm with both of them for a year, we knew we couldn't do it again. They're still my girls though.

When I see Nubia already coming down the stairs I stop in my tracks and wait for her at the bottom...