45: Only One

Ch. 45

 45

As quoted by Nikita Gill, "She wears strength & darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

As quoted by Nikita Gill, "She wears strength & darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell." If that doesn't describe me than I don't know what does. I am strong because I have endured the worst. I am not only dark in complexion, but in spirit. My soul is clouded by the dark sometimes making it hard for me to see my flaws. Today is the day I say I will not let the traumatic situations I've been in, define me.
-Z.D.

The spring semester has ended for me after taking my last final yesterday bringing the 2016-2017 school year to a close. I wouldn't exactly say my junior year was a success, but it definitely came with a lot of teachable moments. Some would say regrets, but I learned a lesson in the end. I took all of my finals which allowed for me to now relax and enjoy summer for the next two months.

Others may be excited for summer because that means drinking, partying, and late nights. That's not exactly on my schedule after finding out some news that may cripple that.

Today I had a busy day. I drove home to Baltimore, Maryland, because two of my younger sisters are going to their junior prom. I did their makeup and hair. My sisters who are twins are now 17 years old making them young women. Sapphira and Zemira were everything I wanted to be at that age. Both confident and beautiful. I was proud of the women they're becoming. They both have jobs and paid for everything including their dresses while also being straight A students.

We're at the house of one of my sister's friends, so they can all get ready and leave together. I guess they call it a prom send-off. After finishing my sister's hair she stands up from the chair. "You ready?" I ask her as she looks at her phone and I make sure every hair is in perfect place.

"Everybody's ready to take pictures outside," one of the girl's mother says peeking her head into the bathroom.

"We're coming," I tell her. Looking at my sisters I wish I would have went to prom when I was in high school. Nobody asked me, so I just didn't go. Plus, I'm sure we wouldn't have had the money to go all out like this. "How come you don't have a date?" I ask my sister as we walk out of the bathroom.