TWENTY ONE

Lucifer never left her side. Dawn was now approaching on a Wednesday and he stood by the window, watching. Waiting to see his sister. The Angel of Death was female and had mesmerizing beauty so she could make her victims relax and feel safe, she is the reason why souls find their way to Heaven. She also causes death with the touch of her finger. From over his shoulder, he heard Cerberus begin to growl and he knew why. Nurses came in often to check on Estrella. 

"Hush, they won't hurt her." he spat at the hellhound then glanced at the nurse. After everything checked out fine, the male nurse in blue scrubs left silently.

"How is she?" Abaddon interrupted, slowly walking into the room.

"Sore but she's okay." Lucifer replied, he wouldn't look at anyone but glare out the window. Abaddon figured in some way he blamed himself for this happening.

"Want me to take over so you can go check the Underworld?"

"No I don't, I'm not leaving."

Abaddon sighed softly. "You know I won't let anything---"

"I said no!" he roared. The room and window shook turbulently and Abaddon stepped down.

"Stop yelling." Estrella groaned, she had been listening to the whole conversation. Her eyes opened and she looked at them both. Abaddon nodded respectfully.

"I'll leave you two alone."

Estrella waited until Abaddon was gone before she looked at Lucifer. He looked unfazed but tired. His somber eyes peeled out down towards the parking lot and every time they moved she saw the sparking light of sunshine on them. That ugly hellhound sat by his feet, staring at her and sniffing the air. She despised that damn thing.

"Why is that in here?"

Lucifer's head turned towards her to question what she meant but he followed her gaze to Cerberus and huffed.

"Just in case," he replied. "he'll be good."

"Yeah sure, because hellhounds are great pets to have."

"Actually, they are."

Estrella wanted to argue with him on that topic but when the door opened and a nurse came in, she didn't even bother.

"Good morning, Estrella!" he exclaimed. He was a middle aged black man, very tall and slender, with a cheerful large smile. "I'm Thomas but you can call me Tom or T."

Lucifer sighed and Estrella glanced over to see that he was shaking his head in disapproval.

"Nice to meet you."

"I need to change your bandages, then I'll bring you some breakfast. Is that alright?"

Estrella nodded then smiled, breakfast sounded good.

"Yes, that's alright," she watched him pull on blue latex gloves, grab a pair of scissors then bandages and rubbing alcohol. "um, when can I go home?"

"I'm not quite sure but your doctor will be in by noon and he'll overlook you and determine when you can."

Thomas pulled back the blanket and lifted her gown, lifting her leg to take off the bandage.

"What happened to me there exactly?"

"A long piece of glass stabbed you in the thigh from the impact," he removed the bandage and she looked down to see a six inch slash on her left held shut by stitches. "it wasn't pretty. You lost a lot of blood but you'll heal fine."

He opened the rubbing alcohol and soaked a cloth before pressing it to the wound. She gasped in agony, gripping the bed's railings. She heard Cerberus begin to growl then barking louder than any normal dog would, he jumped at his feet. Lucifer moved quickly, grabbing Cerberus by the collar before he could attack Thomas. Estrella was beyond surprised that Thomas didn't hear a thing because her ears were now ringing. He had finished cleaning the wound, while talking about something Estrella couldn't hear, then he left with a smile on his face. Slowly her hearing began to return.

"Are you alright?"

She nodded her head. "Yeah, but he didn't hear that?"

"No and I was hoping you wouldn't either but I have no control over that." Lucifer said, sounding extremely unsatisfied by Cerberus' behavior. He released his collar and came closer to Estrella's side.

"What do you mean?"

"Do you remember when I told you that you could see he and I when others couldn't?" he asked. She nodded her head once. "because of that and because you are my soulmate I can't control what you see or hear but I can with others. That ability of mine doesn't work on you. But it works on Thomas, that's why he didn't hear Cerberus' bark."

"Should I feel special?" she interrogated sarcastically, giving him a small smile.

"You are special."

An awkward silence fell between them, all because she didn't know how to respond to that. All she could see when she looked at him was a monster that took her best friend. Estrella swallowed hard, adjusting her pillow.

"I can't wait to get out of this bed."

"You still have a few days to go," he replied. He placed his hand on the other side of her and leaned closer to her face, causing her heart to drop to the pit of her stomach. "I'll be here until then."

Estrella swallowed.

"Lucky me."

Lucifer couldn't help but to chuckle.

...

I hope this chapter was worth the wait! I can promise you that there will be more.
1) do you think the Angel of Death will get to Estrella?
2) what do you think Lucifer will do to keep her safe?
3) what are you looking forward to happening in the next chapter?
Leave your answers below in the comment section, even leave suggestions/feedback. I love either!