AGAINST THE WORLD

The clock ticked around eleven in the evening. And Rosalie sat in front of her harpsichord with her glass of wine, waiting patiently for her husband to arrive. It was odd. She barely waited for Edgar like this. She had been away the entire day, Lovisa had dropped her off safely and he was still away. Rosalie was starting to feel a bit anxious. Ever since her affair with Homer started, the very same day since Minerva had been out of the institution, she could feel that Edgar had been so far away from her. So busy, isolated and restless. Perhaps it was a good thing especially that he had been the least of Rosalie's concern but at the same time it was alarming. She was aware that she had not known Edgar that much. He had been good to her but at the same time, he had also been just as evil as she had become.

The door suddenly squeaked to open. Still sitting in front of the harpsichord, Rosalie straightened her back and folded her hands on her lap. "Rosalie? You're still awake?" The clock stroke its hand around eleven-forty. She blinked. She sighed and forced a smile. "Is there something wrong?" Edgar kissed her temple but Rosalie remained steady on her seat. She felt him paused. He probably noticed the A4 envelope on top of the harpsichord. "You got the results?" Slowly, Rosalie turned to face him. Her husband's face was almost unbearable to look at. Sordid. Rather, uneasy and uncomfortable as if he was extremely worried about the results. Was he just faking it? Because if he did, Rosalie was almost convinced that he was so concern about her.

"Yes." She whispered and gently got the piece of paper. "Positive. Homer- he-." Rosalie swallowed hard. Her heart was pounding against her chest so erratically that she could already feel her blood gushing through the thickest part of her arteries. Even her hair had become sticky on her neck. Hair rose in the pores of her skin. For some reasons, her hands were also shaking. Well, she had no idea what to expect. Homer told her to give him the original results. And so, she did. "He did not lie."

Edgar had gone pale. Rosalie clearly saw how his pupils darkened and dilated. She could almost feel his sighs and his shock from her statement. It was a victorious feeling. At some point felt more comfortable to watch him so off guard. Her body had calmed down immediately. Why? He thought he could manipulate her again? Thankfully, Homer was smarter. Bolder. Again, if Edgar had betrayed her, Rosalie was determined to do it better than he did.

"Uhm, Ed. May, may problema ba?" Rosalie pretended as if she was still oblivious about his lies. They stared. She then stood up and held his hand. "Ed?" She tried to sound worried but she had no idea whether it was convincing enough to show Edgar that she was still ignorant of everything.

Her husband was speechless for a while. Rosalie was still triumphant but she held Edgar's hand tightly. "I- I know Ed that this is something that-" She sighed. "I- I don't deserve from you. And Jane, alam mo naman diba kung gaano ko sya kamahal?" Finally, Edgar gulped and nodded. He even forced a smile but it was obvious that he was only faking it. "Well, I guess that's-" Edgar cleared his throat and immediately rolled the paper to pull her closer. "Fantastic." Fantastic. Rosalie embraced him tightly and closed her eyes. Fantastic.

"Birthday na nya next week diba?" Her eyes fluttered when he faced her again. There was no denying that Edgar was already clenching his jaw. His body too tensed and rigid from their embrace. Rosalie was even more jubilant. "Yes. I asked Lovisa to help me buy her something. You know halos mag-kasing edad sila I think it would be nice to ask for advice what do you think? Okay lang ba if we go out again the day after tomorrow to buy for it?" Edgar stared at her for a minute. His eyes were still too distant and tensed but he seemed a bit better.

"I'm glad you and Lovisa have met." She too, was in fact extremely glad. Rosalie could not help but to smile. "Thank you Ed. And it's almost twelve I guess we should-"

"Mauna ka na." Rosalie fell silent. What was he planning to do this time? "But Ed it's already late hindi ka pa ba pagod sa trabaho?" He shook his head and sighed again. Again, Edgar forced a smile but it was too obvious that he was trying so hard to be nonchalant in a way that she wouldn't be suspicious of him. "Yes. I am but let me tell you this. Ma'ma was frantic. She found out about Minerva this morning. I don't know how she found out. Probably because of Homer or some other gossipers but she was hysterical Rosalie. Pa'pa thought she was safe in Manila but she just suddenly came here this morning looking for her." Rosalie almost gasped.