FARE THEE WELL

In the elevator of the hotel, Rosalie and Homer held each other's hand tightly. "Homer, kaibigan mo ba sa Italia ang kikitain natin ngayon?" He glanced at her for a second before saying, "Oo, he said he's already here when he called." Of course, he should be or that friend of his wouldn't bother them earlier, she thought. Rosalie had to vanquish the growing weariness in her heart when Homer didn't even say a word when she said she loved him. Although she knew, she could feel it, inside, Rosalie desperately wanted to hear a response from him. "Ishmael Salvatore." Rosalie paused and confusedly stared at him. "He's the one we're meeting." As far as she could remember he was Serena's ex. Before she could even say another word, the doors opened.

They walked to the  reception and again, Rosalie did not expect that a small hotel would have a grandeur restaurant. The chairs and tables from afar, the garments, huge vases and the arrangement of cutleries that surrounded them were only evident that it was again, a place were only wealthy people were able to afford.  "Good evening ma'am, sir, reservations or here by-"

"We have a reservation with Mister Salvatore." The manager immediately flicked the pages of her records and said, "Sir Homer El Salvador?"

"Yes."

"Just come in and he's over there on the left-hand corner near stage." There was also a pianist on the stage wearing a white tuxedo playing Ravel's Sonatine I, II and III. It sounded magnificent of course. So tranquil and calming the music was, Rosalie could just spend her entire night listening to the pianist.  But as soon as they approached the direction the manager had pointed at, she didn't know why but Rosalie felt nervous about it. It would be a first time for her to meet someone who had been part of Homer's life and worse, had also been part of Serena Realonda's life.

A man in his late forties wearing an incredibly expensive suit and tie suddenly turned around and stood up. It was obvious from his features that he came from Italian decent. His pointy nose and gleaming old but vivid eyes sparkled towards her. His forehead was wide and ambitious. Though she was not good at reading other people, she could sense that Ishmael Salvatore was surprised because Homer had a companion. "It's been a long time." Rosalie expected Ishmael to have a thick Italian accent but he didn't. His English words were loud and clear.

Homer forced a smile and shook his hand with his friend. "Of course Ishmael, it's been a long time." Ishmael Salvatore nodded multiple times before his eyes found hers again. Rosalie suddenly became conscious about herself. "It's nice to see you with a beautiful woman." Ishmael seriously said when he turned his face to Homer. "I guess Homer probably tell you who I am. Ishmael Salvatore, nice to meet you." They shook hands and they all sat. One thing she noticed about Ishmael was the fact that he didn't even ask for her name.

"Well, shall we eat? Homer, you have lots of things to tell me especially with your companion today."

It was almost bizarre to be with Homer like this. He was acting so natural and normal. There was still his enigma of course, but the way he held himself was no denying more sophisticated but at the same time, she could tell that he was more comfortable. Perhaps it was just because Ishmael was really close to him. "Just ask, and I'll answer." Homer chuckled a little.

A waiter came with glasses and a bottle of wine. "I suppose you like Brunello Di Montalcino?" Ishmael congenially asked.

"Why wouldn't I like the wine?" Rosalie watched Homer pour their glasses with liquor. "I'm extremely glad that you're here tonight. I am aware that you came all the way from Singapore to meet me Ishmael." Rosalie could not help to wonder, was it because of Serena?