MALA FIDE

The next day, the untouched present still lie on the floor beside Burns' bed. She woke up and stared at the wrapped box for a very long time debating whether she should open it or not. By the end of her contemplation Burns decided not to touch it again. Well, at least not now. Even she, herself had no idea why she didn't want to open it, there was nothing to lose. Perhaps Burns was just too anxious and too bitter about Rosalie, afraid that once she had it open, irrational decisions would just suddenly stream out of nowhere. Because in that case, she would be nicer to her mother and Rosalie would assume that they were okay now though. In truth, Burns was still very confused and doubtful about everything. At the same time, she invited Rosalie for the piano concerto this coming evening as well, so what was the point? Did she just actually want to be with her mother to fill those gaps she had left since Rosalie weren't with her since she was born? Or was it her way to speculate, hoping to find something that would answer her conclusions about Rosalie's actual relationship with Homer?

Again, the thought of Homer and Rosalie being together for the second time as lovers was almost impossible to imagine, was it? Part of her wanted it to happen. However, it was not rational. It would look extremely unintelligible to be with her father again. Burns at least still believed that her mother still had some dignity within her. She still believed or rather, she hoped that Rosalie would never do it again. Because she wouldn't be able to bear it. And for her father on the other hand, Burns too had no idea why would Homer do it again. He told her, straight to her face, that he no longer loved Rosalie. It had been more than twenty years already. Homer must have moved on. Her father should have let it all go.

With a sigh, Burns picked up the gift and carefully placed it in the cupboard. She was not ready to open it up. It would be useless to stare at her mother's present forever and so she got her mobile phone. Her eyes widened the moment she had read the doctor Risalyn's indication that she had to see her. Without further ado, with Pilot, she ran straight to the laboratory. Burns left her mother a message that she would not be able to have breakfast with her. Besides, she also wanted to be quite far away from Rosalie. Perhaps it was better to subside her suspicions even for just a while.

"Hey." The doctor congenially greeted. "And hi Pilot." The dog immediately sat down politely. "He's such an obedient dog."

Burns smiled and said, "Of course. So, you've identified the victim?"

Doctor Ris' face turned serious. "That's why you're here. Follow me." With Pilot behind her, she went inside the doctor's office. "It is extremely hard to make an identification Burns but luckily back in the days oral health is already in demand in this town." The doctor pulled out a folder and clicked some pages. "So, I tried to check some records in the town's health centre. Since, you've told me you are certain that these bones belong to Manang Hilda's husband I specifically asked for his name. Now, you have to thank doctor Alvarez for searching up in the ratchet old building in the mainland to look for very old dental files."

"Oh Madonna-"

"I know, I know and luckily after bribing tons of people to access that old building's stuff, he found his dental records." Doctor Ris sighed and handed her the old folder. "You're right Burns. It matched." Her words hung in the air for a while. "The remains belong to Manang Hilda's husband." Silence immediately engulfed them. Burns was already expecting this but she had no idea why it still surprised her. Finally. At least, she did something useful in Santa Lucia in the course of her stay.

"After twenty-five years." Burns' chest contracted in relief. Staring on the folder, she could not help but to feel gratified about this good news. 

"After twenty-five years we can now tell Manang Hilda what happened," Doctor Ris uttered.

Burns looked up and closed the folder. She murmured, "But we still have no idea who killed him."