"An Art of Escape" by imhappy20

LORELEI

IT WAS still early in the morning at tila kakagising lang din ni haring araw. Napabangon ako sa aking kama nang maalimpungatan ako from my good night sleep.

I grabbed my phone to check the time. Mag-a-alas syete pa lang. And since I can't get myself back to sleep, I managed to get up and walk out of my room.

Tuluyan nang nagising ang diwa ko as I stood frozen with my mouth slightly open. I was surprised to see Loki sitting on the couch with his legs crossed habang tutok sa kaniyang laptop. "Good morning, Lorelei. Good you're awake." Inaantok niyang sabi sabay hikab. And that's a rare sight to see— a cute one too. "You look so curious to why I am not in bed early this morning."

"Good morning, Loki." I replied back at nagkusot-kusot pa ng mga inaantok kong mata, nilagpasan ko si Loki, ignoring his superb deduction prowess at dumiretso sa kusina.

Once the kettle started squealing, agad ko nang pinatay ang stove and prepared myself a cup of coffee and one for Loki dahil mukhang good mood.

Tumungo na ko sa sala at nilapag sa center table ang parehong tasa ng kape, as I sat on the couch across him. "Coffee?" Offer ko as I slightly moved his cup towards him.

His brows narrowed into slits and his forehead crumpled as he shot a curious glance at me. "Are you still asleep or are you still dreaming?" He mocked as if he thought that never can I make a coffee for him without anything in return.

I just ignored him and took a sip of my coffee. "So... do you mind telling me why are you up early this morning? Ano bang pinagkakaabalahan mo?" Tanong ko sabay turo sa laptop na nakapatong sa hita niya.

"My brother, which is Luthor by the way," Tila sumama na naman ang timpla niya nang sabihin ang pangalan ng kanyang nakakatandang kapatid. "Wanted me to come over an exhibit in Manila, in replacement for him since he would like to start his world domination and won't be able to come." Bored niyang saad, his tone was monotonous but it has a strong sense of sarcasm.

"And since it's a Saturday, I pressume that you have no business at the moment? I want you to come with me," he finished his coffee, bottoms up, before continuing his business. Ni hindi man lang ako nagawang tignan as if he wasn't making a request! "Oh, it's not a request, by the way." Sabi niya na tila nabasa ang nasa isip ko.

"And who told you that you can tell me what to do?" Sabi ko at tumayo na, hindi ko pa nauubos ang kape ko dahil nawalan na ako ng gana, I don't want to argue with him early this morning.

Nilagpasan ko na siya and tumungo sa kusina. Wala nang nagsalita pa sa'min until he decided to break the silence. What now? Does he really think na mapipilit niya—

"I want you to be my date." Natigil ako saglit at saka siya hinarap, shocked to see him standing right before me. "Ehem, companion, rather."

Tumayo ako ng tuwid at pinilit na maging seryoso, knowing that he can read through me. "Please?" Napapaiwas siya ng tingin at napahawak sa batok niya when he said the magic word as if it was a curse for him.

Napairap na lang ako. Wala man lang bahid ng sincerity. Oh, what do you expect, Lorelei. He's Loki. The Loki. "Okay, fine." Sabi ko at nilagpasan na siya.

Napairap na lang ako. Why does it have to be me?

I took a shower and let myself dry. I chose to wear a cream long-sleeved blouse tucked in my red pencil skirt. Nagsuot rin ako ng heels na hindi gano'n kataas. Since it's a convention, I expect to see attendees in their semi or formal attires.

Lumabas na ko ng kwarto. He is also set for today. He is wearing a red long-sleeved polo partnered with a black necktie. "You look...attractive, well sort of." He uttered under his breath.