Chapter 4: Something Different

Days and days went by. Hazel was in the hospital for about a week. She felt better, but she didn't know that she would ever be able to walk. The doctor was supposed to come in and tell her what was wrong. Both of Hazel's parents were sitting beside her. They heard a knock on the door. "Come in", they said. The doctor walked in, talking to them like nothing was wrong.
    "How are you all today?", the doctor said. "We're doing pretty good", both her parents said. "Okay, Hazel you look like your doing pretty good. You've healed up pretty nice from the cuts and bruises", the doctor said. Hazel was looking at him nervously. "But, I know what you're worried about. You still can't feel your legs, can you?" the doctor said. Hazel shook her head no.
      "I know you're not going to want to hear this, but there is a big chance that you won't be able to walk again", said the doctor. Hazel could feel her face getting red and tears starting to come out of her eyes. "I know this is is hard for you, but try to do the best you can" the doctor said. "So I'll never be able to walk ever?!" Hazel asked. Hazel was feeling anger and frustration inside her.
    "Okay, you want to know the truth?" the doctor asked. "Yes! Tell me the truth! I'm not leaving here until you tell me what the rest of my life is going to be like!!" Hazel exclaimed.
    "Okay, Hazel you're paralyzed", the doctor said. Hazel was sitting there in shock, not knowing what to do next. "What?! So I'm not going to be able to walk let alone ride a horse for the rest of my life?!" Hazel said.
    The doctor left the room. Hazel was sitting there in tears. Her parents said, "No matter what, we will be here for you. We'll fix your room up and everything". "What about riding?" Hazel asked. "If we have to strap you in that saddle to ride again, we will", her dad said. "But you will ride again", mom said. "No matter what".