Chapter 7: Back to the Barn

Hazel was sitting in her wheelchair looking through the glass sliding doors. "Do you wanna go out to see the horses?" , her dad asked. "Yeah, I guess so", Hazel said with nervousness. "Okay then, lets go", her dad said. Hazel pushed herself out to the barn looking at all the horses. She pulled herself up to Star's stall, where Star peeked her head over. "Hey girl", Hazel said. "I've missed you". "Well, I'm gonna go help out the ranch hand. Will you be okay?" Hazel's dad asked. "Yeah! We'll be fine!" Hazel said. Hazel's dad walked away to go work some more.
      Hazel petted Star on the nose. Star put her head over the stall checking out Hazel's wheelchair. "It's a new thing that you're gonna have to get used to girl", Hazel said. "I'm going to have to get used to it too". Hazel stared into space like nothing was happening. She had another flashback of the accident. She jerked as Star's head went up. "It's ok girl. Sorry I spooked you", Hazel said.
     Hazel felt that she was afraid to ever get back on a horse. "How am I ever going to ride again? I can't live my life without riding".
      "Hazel!" mom yelled from the house. "What?!" Hazel yelled back. "There's someone on the phone for you!", her mom said. "Okay! I'm comin!", Hazel said. Hazel pushed herself back to the house.
     "It's for you", her mom said as she gave her the phone.
      "Hello?" Hazel said. "Hi! Is this Hazel Taylor?", the woman on the phone asked. Hazel said, "Yes". "Okay! Hi Hazel! I'm Amy Fleming from the Heartland Ranch and I heard your story! It's amazing!", Amy said. "Thanks!", Hazel said. Hazel was thinking she had no clue who this person was. "I work with problem horses for a living. You're a barrel racer, right?", Amy asked. "Yes", Hazel said. "Okay. I'm not saying you have a problem with your horse, but I'd like to invite you to come to Heartland for an amazing western experience!", Amy said. "Really?! Wow! Where exactly is Heartland at? I've never heard of it.", Hazel said.
       "It's in Alberta Canada. About 2 hours away from the city of Calgary", Amy said. "Canada?!" Hazel exclaimed. "Could I have some time to talk with my family and think this over?", Hazel asked. "Sure! Take all the time you need! Just call me back when you make your decision", Amy said. "Ok thanks!", Hazel said as she hung up the phone.
    "Mom? Can we go to Canada?!", Hazel asked. "Well, this seems like an amazing experience for you to have. I'll talk it over with your dad and we'll see", mom said.
   "Okay! Thanks mom", Hazel said.
This was a once in a lifetime opportunity and experience. Hazel was so excited!
" I hope we can go", Hazel said to herself.