Chapter 8: A New Opportunity

Hazel was sitting in front of the mirror combing through her dirty blonde hair. Looking at herself, she said, "I will ride again". Hazel pushed herself out into the kitchen to get some breakfast. "Hey mom. Have you and dad talked about the trip to Canada yet?" Hazel said. "Yes, we have. And we think it's a good idea", mom said. "But, if you're going for a western experience, you're going to have to figure out a way to ride", mom said. "I know. Do you think I can ride today?" Hazel asked. "Yeah, I'll tell your dad", mom said. "Okay, thanks", Hazel said.
        Hazel ate some cereal and went outside. "Hey girl", Hazel said as she approached Star. "You wanna go for a ride today?" Hazel had to face her fear and ride. "Hey dad", Hazel said as her dad came up to her. "Hey honey. How you doing?" dad said. "I'm good. Can I ride today?" Hazel asked. "Well, did your mother say you could?" her dad asked. "Yeah, she said to ask you", Hazel said. "Okay then, lets saddle her up", dad said.
     They had Star all tacked up. "Okay, how am I going to get on?" Hazel asked. "Well, I guess I can put you on", dad said. The stablehand was holding Star so she wouldn't move. Hazel's dad picked her up, and while she was getting on the saddle, she felt a little dizzy. She sitting in the saddle and said, "I can't do this". "You can't to what?" dad asked. "I can't ride. Not just yet", Hazel said. "Okay, we'll get you off then", dad said.
   They got her back off Star, and she went back to the house. "Did you ride?" her mom asked as she came in. "Don't even ask", Hazel said as she wheeled herself to her room.
     Hazel sat in her wheelchair in ring of the window looking out at the barn. "Forget it", she said to herself.