Chapter 6: New Ways

Hazel woke up with the sun shining through her window. She sat up and realized she was in her room. She loved her room. She sat there and looked at all her horse pictures on the wall. She looked over beside her bed and saw her wheelchair. "Well my morning just got worse", she said. Her mom knocked on her door. "Come in", Hazel said. Her mom came in with a breakfast tray. "I brought you some breakfast. You're favorite", her mom said. Hazel looked at the tray with two biscuits with bacon on them. And a glass of milk. That was her favorite breakfast. "Thanks mom", Hazel smiled. She took the tray and started eating.
"I'm going to go clean up the kitchen. Will you be fine?" her mother asked. "Yeah I'll be good", Hazel said as she was eating her food. Her mom walked out of the door, and Hazel continued eating while looking around in her room at all the memories. Ring ring! Hazel's phone rang. Hazel picked it up. "Hello?" Hazel said. "Hey girl! How you doing? I heard all about the accident. I'm so sorry! Should I come over?" Hazel's friend Kaylee asked. "Na, I'm eating breakfast. You can come over later though", Hazel said. "Okay! I'll see ya later!", Kaylee said. Hazel put down her phone and finished eating.
She got finished with her breakfast and didn't know what to do next. She sat the tray on the end of the bed, while she slid over into the wheelchair. "Okay, if this is how it's going to be, then I'm going to think of some ideas", Hazel said. Hazel's mom came back into the room and said, "Do you need any help?" "No, I think I can handle it. You can take the tray though", Hazel said. "Okay", see you outside then", her mom said.
Hazel managed to get dressed and put her boots on. She couldn't reach her cowgirl hat on the hook of the wall. "Okay, think. Think", Hazel said. She had to try to figure out a way to reach it. She saw a baseball bat in the corner so she got that. She got the baseball bat and lifted it as high as she could. "Got it!", she said. She put the baseball bat back, and wheeled herself out to the hallway.
"I got this", Hazel said.