xxiv. blood fox

↱                                                                                    ↰

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐘𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐃'𝐒 𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄

𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺-𝘧𝘰𝘶𝘳: 𝘣𝘭𝘰𝘰𝘥 𝘧𝘰𝘹

↳                                                                                    ↲

     SOME THINGS ARE JUST not meant for ears. Of course I'm not talking about Peter having a goddamn conscience. Stop getting your hopes up, people. I knew that the news of me killing Kate Argent willingly would eventually reach my Mate's, and my Mates Pack's, ears. That, of course, is what I am talking about.

     "Derek, just listen to me!" I cry, trying to tell my Mate what happened.

     Derek spins around, his eyes red. "You want me to listen to you?! You killed Kate Argent, Stiles!"

     "As if she didn't have it coming! We all know someone from one of our Packs would have killed her! I'm betting it would have been from mine for taking one of our own! I just did what I had to do to protect my friend!"

     "Did you consider what it might do to you?!"

     "Yes, and I didn't care! The need to protect your Pack overrules the worry about your eye colour and conscience, Derek. You of all people should know that!"

• • •

     That was the last time I talked to Derek. It was a few weeks back. The Bond is stretched to its absolute limit, and it's about to backfire on both of us. It's just that some things can't be helped. Derek's rage and complete lack of understanding is the reason this has all happened. He is quick to anger and slow to reason. Some things will never change.

     "Stiles," Sonya says, poking my arm repeatedly. "Are you alright?"

     I smile at the Nogitsune. "Yeah. I am. It's just the Mate Bond with Derek."

     "Stretched to its limit. Am I right?"

     "Yeah. It's not on me this time. It's on him."

     "How so?"

     "He won't let me explain why I killed Kate Argent."

     Sonya smiles at me sadly. "He may have a small recollection of his feelings towards her. There is always that possibility."

     I glare at the ground. "They were together back when they were teenagers. If he still has feelings for her, then I am concerned as all hell."

     "Go talk to him, Stiles. He needs you."

     "It's obvious he doesn't."

     She laughs. "He's a grumpy person by nature. You need to make him realise that he needs you."

     I smirk. "I'll just play with Mate Bond then."

     "Now you're thinking like the Fox."

     I grin at Sonya and jump to my feet, pulling her with me. "I am a Fox."

     I Shift into my Fox form with minor hassle and run into the trees, the air rushing through my fur and making me shiver. It's a feeling I'm never going to get used to. I'm not sure if I want to stay a Fox anyway. I mean, it's causing more drama than it is good. It does have its perks, but lately none of them level out the fact that I have another Mate somewhere.

     A howl breaks me from my thoughts and I look up to see brilliant red eyes gleaming at me in the darkness. Derek Hale everyone. I grin at him and run away, skittering in the leaves and sending them flying into his line of vision. He growls at me and thunders after me, not bothering to even try to hide that he is chasing me.

     'Stiles,' Liam says. 'What in hells name are you thinking?'

     'I want to have some fun,' I say, laughing.

     'Just be careful. This is Derek after all.'

     'Why do you think I'm doing it in the first place?'

     I sense Derek's hand reaching for my tail. Oh no you don't.

     I leap to the side and swiftly dodge the tree I almost rammed into. Derek growls and follows me, his growl gaining a playful edge. I yip playfully back and run faster, appearing to be a streak of dark orange in the night. The moonlight hits me and I stop dead, making Derek run into me and go flying over my head. Oops?

     He knocks a tree over and groans, rolling onto his stomach to look up at me with a glare. It vanishes suddenly and is replaced with wonder and shock. His eyes return to their normal hazel colour and he climbs to his feet, walking over to me hesitantly. It's like he thinks I'm going to vanish into thin air. Not this time.

     I look down at my usually deep orange fur and stare at it. It's closer to a deep, blood red, and the tips of the hairs are black. Although, where the moonlight is hitting it, they are a sort of red-purple colour. My usually white paws are an iridescent silver, and I can only imagine what my eyes are like.

     Derek carefully places his hand on my head and turns it, marvelling at something. "Your eyes..."

     I raise my eyebrow. Wait, do Foxes even have eyebrows?

     "They're bright purple. Like, really bright. There is so much more silver in them than I ever realised. They're one of a kind, Stiles. When they're in the moonlight-" He cuts off in mid-sentence and jumps back, his eyes wide and fearful.

     I jerk back at his sudden movement.

     "They just turned pure silver for a split second. It's the moonlight. Also, close to a Full Moon. That explains it."

     I walk over to him and sit, leaning on him. I nuzzle into his warmth and feel his body shake as he chuckles. He wraps his arm around me and leans his head against mine. It's a strange sensation. Nobody has ever had any contact with me while I'm in this form - excluding the fight Derek and I had almost two months ago.

     Two and a half months since everyone found out I am a Hybrid...

     Two months since Valerie came to Beacon Hills...

     A month and a half since Derek and I Mated...

     A month since I killed Kate...

     What's going to happen next?