xxix. proposals and stretched bonds

↱                                                                                   ↰

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐘𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐃'𝐒 𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄

𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺-𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘦: 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘱𝘰𝘴𝘢𝘭𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥
𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘦𝘵𝘤𝘩𝘦𝘥 𝘣𝘰𝘯𝘥𝘴

↳                                                                                   ↲

Two Months Later

     TIME IS FLYING BY like there's no tomorrow. Honestly. The past two months have been unusually peaceful and downright perfect. It's been four years since Peter Turned Scott; four years since Allison moved to Beacon Hills; and almost four years since Derek Turned Isaac, Erica, and Boyd. It doesn't feel like it, but everything around me is telling me that it has been that long.

     Isaac is going to propose to Allison tonight. I know right? It was a shock to me as well. Isaac hasn't told anyone else - not even Scott. I may have accidentally let it slip while I was talking to Derek and Liam, but Isaac told me that is was fine. He was going to talk to them about it either way. His next obstacle is Chris Argent.

     I knock on the Hunter's door. "Chris, you home?"

     "Of course I am." The door opens. "Come on in, Stiles."

     I walk in and the door closes behind me, well, it tries. Isaac sticks his hand in and Chris allows the door to be pushed open. Isaac mockingly scowls at Chris as he walks in, closing the door. Chris gives Isaac his signature bitch face before walking into the lounge room, myself and the Beta in tow.

     "What seems to be the problem?" Chris asks, facing Isaac and I. "After all, it is unusual for you two to turn up unannounced."

     I slap Isaac on the shoulder and grin. "This little scared Beta has something to ask you."

     Isaac jerks at the contact. "Jeez, Stiles. You couldn't have been more nice about it?"

     "Hmm.. No way. This is a major thing."

     Chris crosses his arms. "Now I'm starting to worry."

     Isaac looks up at Chris with a sheepish smile. "Mr Argent, I want to ask you for your permission to marry your daughter. I am deeply in love with her, and your blessing would mean the world to me."

     "It's about goddamn time, Isaac."

     "W-What?"

     "I've been waiting what feels like years for this." Chris smiles and pats Isaac on the back. "You have both my permission and my blessing. Congratulations, son."

• • •

     "Isaac proposed to me!" Allison screeches, bouncing with happiness. "He actually proposed to me! I can't believe it! Can you?"

     I laugh at the brunette, slinging my arm around her shoulder. "Oh, Allison. Of course I can believe it."

     "Wait. You knew?! Stiles!"

     "He was terrified you'd say no. I had to help the poor Wolf. He was afraid your father would shoot him, too. I had to go with him when he asked your father's permission."

     Allison turns a light shade of red. "He asked my father's permission? He is so old-fashioned sometimes."

     I grin at my friend, poking her cheek. "You're one lucky girl. You have the man everyone dreams of having."

     "And you have Derek. What's so bad about that?"

     "Nothing. There seems to be something wrong. He has been distant ever since my near-death experience. It's worse than him after Cora almost died."

     "He's your Mate, Stiles. That close brush of death would have had an effect on him too. Not just you. You have to remember that."

     I look down, falling back onto Derek's couch and dragging Allison with me. "Lately, he hasn't been much of a Mate. Look around you, Allison. Is he here right now? No. He's in goddamn South America with Cora. The Mate Bond is stretched to its absolute limit. It's starting to affect me physically now."

     Allison pulls back from me and looks me once over. She is about to say something as she notices something. She takes a closer look and I have to force myself not to speed to the other side of the room. Her fingers take hold of my shirt and lift it up, revealing my way too visible ribs and sinking stomach.

     Her eyes flicker to mine and she takes note of the dark patches of skin under my eyes that remind me of the Nogitsune every time I see them. Her eyes search my dull, brown eyes before moving around my pale face. My cheeks are hollowing out, my freckles seem almost black compared to my skin, and my lips are chapped.

     "Stiles..." Allison can't seem to find the right words to convey what she feels by just looking at me. I can't blame her. "I..."

     I smile weakly, poking her side. "I'm alright, Allison. I will always be alright. I have to be. I have had to take over for Derek as Alpha for his Pack while he's away. It's the best I can do. As well as living here."

     "He's only been gone for a month... How is affecting you so much? It shouldn't be."

     "Not even Deaton knows. Although, he does think it's because I still haven't found my other Mate."

     "We have to find them, Stiles. You look like you're dying. Again. Twice is enough for an NDE. Hell, once was enough for me."

     "You're alright, Allison. I'll be alright. Go tell Lydia, Alex, Hayden, Malia, Kira, and Erica that you're getting married. Involve Sonya and Kassidy too. Even Valerie if she's up for it. Go have some fun, okay?"

     "What about you though?"

     "I'll call over Jackson, Theo, and the twins if I get lonely. Promise."