xxxv. half bloods

↱                                                                                   ↰

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐘𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐃'𝐒 𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄

𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘳𝘵𝘺-𝘧𝘪𝘷𝘦: 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘣𝘭𝘰𝘰𝘥𝘴

↳                                                                                   ↲

     STILES IS WEAKENING AT a faster rate than ever. We may not have as long as we should. It's something that we can't think about though. Our top priority is finding Stiles' other Mate. Then again, some things are easier said than done. This other Mate of his is a master at hiding himself and his scent from this world, and those of us in it. All we know, other than that, is his name - Alexander.

     Alexander means 'defending men'. It is derived from Greek αλεξω (alexo) 'to defend' or 'help' and ανηρ (aner) 'man'. If this Mate is anything like his name, they should be Stiles' better half. Well, better third actually. Anyway, this Mate should be protecting his Mate from certain death if he has any say in the matter. He should be in that loft, bringing his Mate back from the brink of oblivion.

     Wait. If he has any say in the matter?!

     I stop in my tracks and stare in front of me, wide-eyed and shock filled. "He might not be having any say in the matter."

     Hayden gives me a scolding look. "Honestly, Liam, this is Stiles' Mate. Anyone linked to that Hybrid would be as stubborn as all hell and have a say in the matter."

     "Stiles said that his Mate is not supernatural like us. So, that means a non-shapeshifter. He's a Human for all intents and purposes, but, still a part of the supernatural world. Everyone in this world has a leader, Hayden. What if it is his leader that's keeping him from saving his Mate?"

     "Liam, how can you think that?" Ethan growls. "Who in their right mind would keep two Mates apart?"

     Aiden flicks his brother. "A sadistic bastard. That's who. Now, control that surprisingly violent temper of yours. We have a Mate to catch. I am not losing another Pack member."

     Hayden's eyes go bright as if she realises something. Everyone else's eyes brighten as well and then start to glow with a mixture of anger and happiness. Then it hits me. The scent. Stiles' Mate's scent. Cherry and... no, it can't be. Stiles' Mate is one of them? A loud snarl breaks the silence and I look over at the Kitsune twins, Nick and Gabriel, to see Nick holding his snarling brother back.

     "Stiles' other Mate is a Half Blood?" I dare to ask, my own blood boiling with anger.

     Something is wrong. I can feel the unadulterated anger flooding through the Pack Bond. There is a mix of relief and happiness within that anger, which, by my guess, means that the Pack has found Stiles' other Mate, or the scent. What is with the anger though? Shouldn't it be all happiness and relief? Shouldn't they be getting on with finding the actual Mate and taking them to Stiles? What's going on?

     'Liam,' I say. 'What in hell's name is going on?'

     Liam growls. 'We found Stiles' other Mate.'

     'What's with the goddamn anger then? Get them to Stiles!'

     'They're a Half Blood, Jackson! They're not getting within one hundred metres of Stiles!'

     My mind floods with images and horror pools in my mind, making my stomach turn and bile begin to rise in my throat. 'No. Not one of them! They're going to kill us all! They don't see an in-between! It's all black and white to them! We're supernatural creatures, and they will kill us all without hesitation!'

     Some things just shouldn't exist. Supernatural creatures for one, and those who are half-blooded. It doesn't matter what they are half-blooded of, they just should not exist in this world. They call us abominations, but they are. At least we are full-blooded creatures - they are not. They're animals of a different kind, but animals nonetheless. So many of the supernatural have been slaughtered by them mercilessly. Nothing is going to eradicate that past.

     There is no way that this is the truth. This has to be some sick joke.

     Stiles looks so frail. He is almost as white as the sheets he is laying on, and his limbs are like twigs at best. They look like they could be broken by laying a single finger on them. The deep purple around his eyes makes my skin crawl. He looks like he is the Nogitsune again, and, while that is an interesting thing to behold, I would not wish for him to go through that ordeal ever again. His breathing is laboured, and his lips are almost as pale as his skin, chapped as well. His hair has even begun to pale in colour - the deep brown is now almost white-washed.

     "He doesn't even look like himself," I whisper to myself. "This is killing him, and the entirety of our Pack."

     'Some things must happen, Hale.'

     "Get out of my head."

     'No.'

     "Are you even real?"

     'Of course I am. I am, as you call me, a Half Blood.'

     I growl. "Now I am done asking nicely. Get the hell out of my head."

     'The answer is still no, Hale.'

     "If you're not going to leave, then, tell me what the hell you want."

     'I want that monster in front of you to suffer, of course. Then, I want the rest of your disgusting species to rot in hell for even existing.'

     "The majority of these Pack members have done nothing to breach your ridiculous Laws! Not to mention, those Laws don't even have a place out here!"

     'Oh, Hale, those Laws have a place everywhere - even in this town crawling with supernatural vermin.'

     Then it hits me. "You're keeping Stiles' Mate from him."

     They laugh. 'Of course I am. Can't have your kind defiling him any more, can I?'

     "Who is he to you anyway?"

     'Your friend's Mate is my daughter's friend, and her boyfriend's brother. I am afraid that you cannot have him.'

     "You need to help Stiles! You're going to kill this friend of your daughter's by letting Stiles die!"

     'Oh, that's a shame. He is a fine warrior. He is going to be missed.'

     I clench my fists and growl.

     'Growl all you want. Your friend is going to die, along with his two Mates.'