xxxi. one of them

↱                                                                                   ↰

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐘𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐃'𝐒 𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄

𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘳𝘵𝘺-𝘰𝘯𝘦: 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘮

↳                                                                                   ↲

     SOMETHING IS WRONG. I don't know what, but I do know that something is unbelievably wrong. 

     My skin is crawling and my mind is hazy. I feel cold, almost like I am in the snow with only a t-shirt and shorts. My body won't stop trembling, and neither will Cora's. Whatever is happening, it is affecting more than just myself. Even Derek looks sick - and he is even moving like it. He is struggling to stand, and there's nothing we can do.

     "Cora," I say, making my dark haired Mate look at me. "We need to get back to Beacon Hills. This has to be linked to Stiles somehow. It's the only explanation."

     Cora hums and nods her head in agreement. "I booked us tickets last night. The closest date I could get is next week."

     "Somehow, I think that it's going to be too late by then."

     "Jackson!" Derek yells. "Get Stiles-"

     Derek is cut off by a coughing fit. It worsens by the second and then a wet sound fills my ears. Worry spreads through me and I run into Derek's room, stopping in shock at the sight in front of me. There is blood covering Derek's hand, and dripping from his mouth. He just coughed up blood. This is getting to be worse than I thought.

     "Cora! He just coughed up blood!"

     "Shit!"

     "We need to get back to Beacon Hills now! He's dying!"

     "I can't get us there! There's no way!"

     I curse and cover my eyes, trying to think. "Get Stiles on the goddamn phone!"

     Cora hands me her phone. "I already dialled. You speak to him."

     I hold the phone to my ear and the dial tone is all I can here. It is the longest twenty seconds of my life. The skin of my knuckle is held between my teeth and the skin is about to break. Just as someone picks up the phone, I bite through the skin and blood starts to run down my finger. I curse and put pressure on the bite so it will heal.

     "Hello?" It's not Stiles' voice, but it is familiar.

     "Nick?" I ask, confusion and worry flowing through me like acid. "What's going on? Where the hell is Stiles? Is he alright?"

     "It's affecting you too, isn't it? You're cold and can't stop shaking. Is Cora the same?"

     "Yeah, she is. Derek is worse than us though. He just-"

     "Coughed up blood? I know. Stiles has been doing that for the past two days that I know of. It will only get worse."

     "Why is it affecting Stiles quicker?"

     He sighs. "It's not just quicker, Jackson. It's worse. Stiles can't even talk. Even with the entirety of his Pack here - minus you and Cora - he barely looks any better. Derek's Pack and Valerie's Pack are barely making a difference either. Derek needs to get back here soon."

     I punch the wall and growl. "The closest date we could get is next week. I don't think either of them are going to make it until then."

     White noise fills my ear and then another voice sounds. "Stiles is going to be dead by the end of next week, Jackson! Maybe before that! We don't have until next week!"

     "Gabe? Listen to me, Gabriel. We can't get there any sooner. There has to be something that can be done. There absolutely has to be."

     "We have been looking for his other Mate. So far, we have had no luck at all. It's like they're one step ahead of us, or even one step behind us."

     "Do you have a scent?"

     "No. Stiles does, but he can't move an inch without screaming in pain."

     "Just..." Jackson sighs and a pained groan sounds. "Shit. Derek, are you alright?"

     Another groan sounds. "I'm fine. Stiles..."

     "He's dying, Derek, and, from what I am hearing, he's not going to last the week."

     "No. He can't die. Damn it."

     "Gabriel and Nick are trying to find his other Mate. It's our only shot at keeping him - and you - alive."

     "Gabe, do what you have to do. Save him."

     Gabriel makes an agreeing noise. "We are. I promise that we will do our best."

     Jackson sighs. "I'll let you two go take care of our Hybrid. Alright? We will take care of this stupid Alpha. Also, try leaving a scent trail for the Mate. Use Stiles' scent. It might work."

     "We can-"

     "Won't work," Stiles rasps, my eyes flying over to the pale Hybrid. "They aren't supernatural. Not like us anyway."

     Jackson curses. "Try some tracking thing then! Just do something! We cannot lose him!"

     "Jackson, just take care of Derek. I'll be alright."

     Jackson grumbles, but agrees. He hangs up and silence fills the loft. Stiles' ragged breathing is the only sound that can be heard other than our heart beats. I watch as Stiles' eyelids flutter closed and his breathing begins to regulate. His breathing is so shallow and his heart is barely beating anymore. He looks dead.

     Gabriel frowns. "A Mate that isn't supernatural like us? What is that meant to mean?"

     I close my eyes and take a deep breath. This is going to upset him. "Gabe, you know what it means. It's one of them."

     "Stiles' other Mate is one of those animals?! No bloody way!"

     "There's nothing else in this world that is like them, and that means that Stiles' other Mate is one of them."

     Stiles groans in pain.