Cooler Than Me II

A/N: This song is "You're So Vain" by Carly Simon

Nothing makes you feel better than a long sleep. I had one last night and it was beautiful. No thoughts of Mark, no wondering, no more anything. I grabbed my phone and saw a barrage of texts, all from Mark.

 I grabbed my phone and saw a barrage of texts, all from Mark

And he knows where to find me? That was odd. I wondered what that meant. Had he kept my address for all those years? I rolled my eyes and put my phone on the dresser. Today was a new day, no time for Mark or his bullshit. I decided on a jog, it'd been awhile since I'd done anything active. I put my favorite workout clothes on and grabbed my jogging shoes. Now if only I had a dog to run with. Mark always had dogs. I remember playing with them with him back when he still gave a damn. I took off down the sidewalk, jamming to some music I hadn't heard in a long time. I picked up the pace and rounded the corner, feeling free again. I slowed up a bit and checked out the scenery, I hardly ever came down this way. My music flow was interrupted by a notification. I knew what it was and who it was from. Just as expected it was from Mark and it was just as eerie and cryptic as the last message he sent. "I'm here for you. Just make sure you're there for me." I read aloud. What the fuck was that even supposed to mean? I decided to reply.

 What the fuck was that even supposed to mean? I decided to reply

I decided to just go back to my apartment after that one. I didn't quite feel right about being out on the streets by myself. I was deeply troubled by what he meant by all those weird messages. He was certainly behaving more abnormal than he had been lately. I went home and sat on my bed, rubbing my temples. Maybe I got up too early. I kicked my shoes off and pulled the blankets up.

I woke up to the weird sensation that someone was in my apartment. That's stupid, you live alone. I thought, curling up beneath the covers. I was too scared to get up and move though. Oh come on, you're being a fucking baby. There's no one there. I rose from my position and stretched. That's when I heard the squeaking of someone sitting down on my couch. Or so I thought. Mark? No way. My parents? Not due in town for another week. A stalker? I don't think I have one. "Who is it?" I asked, a bit afraid. No answer. I'm losing my mind. I thought. I walked into my living room carefully and almost jumped out of my skin when I saw Mark. We just looked at each other for a long time without speaking. "Remember that key you gave me to get in when you first moved in here?" he asked, jingling it. "Y-yeah." I said. "Well, I kept it." I was flattered, but angry at the same time. "I didn't give you that key so you could just barge into my home anytime you like." I barked. "I know, I know...but I felt like this was needed. I didn't wanna tell you, but I'm back in town for two weeks to see my family...and I wanted to see you, too." I was skeptical. I stared him down. "Come sit with me?" he asked. I shook my head. "Please?" I stayed put. "Alright, that's fine. We can talk like we are." "How long have you been here?" I asked. "About an hour. You're a heavy sleeper." I shuddered. "You were watching me sleep?" I asked. "No, I just saw that you were taking a nap. I didn't wanna bother you, so  I just stayed here." I walked over to him, but did not sit. "So...what...I guess I just don't get this. You blew me off for over a year, I had to get mad to get you to respond....I....what is this?" He looked down. "I'm sorry (y/n)." he said. He seemed genuine but given our history, I was unsure if beleiving him was such a good move. "I don't think you know how badly you hurt me, or how much you pissed me off." I said. "No, I think I do. You're pretty great for not tossing me out on my ass, you know. I've been a fucking prick." I sat across from him and waited for an explanation. "Go on, I like hearing you beat yourself up." He cracked a smile. "Sadist." he replied. "Alright, so life has been a bit busy...and I've been under pressure. I've been isolating myself a bit more than what I should've, and you were on my blacklist...but not because of anything you've done. You've been one of my best friends for life. I wasn't thinking...there's no excuse, but please, believe me, I wasn't trying to hurt you." I thought everything over. He had a very genuine tone, and seemed deeply bothered by his own behavior. "Is this the part where you tell me you've loved me for years on end?" I asked, joking. His face didn't change. "No, it's the part where I wait to hear if my friend is going to remain my friend." I smiled. "But for the record, you're....interesting to me." My heart stopped momentarily. I had no idea. "Alright, you've got an...interesting way of showing me that." I said. He chuckled. "You're warming up to me." he said. He was right. I moved over next to him and he brought me into a tight hug. "I'm sorry." he muttered into my skin. "Quit apologizing. What's done is done." He looked at me with his deep, dark eyes, not saying a word. "Can I?" he asked softly. "Yes." I replied. He pressed his lips to mine gently, and it felt like magic. He ran his fingers through my hair, gently pulling at it. When I broke the kiss for air, he rose silently. "Check your phone later. I'm sorry to rush off, especially after that...but...I have to get to my mom's before she gets mad. She's making dinner." I laughed. "That's about right. You were never late to dinner." He laughed. "I'll be back tonight. I promise. Be ready." Cryptic. I wonder what that meant.