Smooth Sailing III

A/N: The song is Beyond the Sea by Bobby Darin

I kept meeting up for sailing excursions with Mark every Sunday. Rain or shine, he was waiting for me at the marina. Today is different, though. It's rainy and I don't really feel like sailing with a companion, but as always, he's waiting for me. I climbed in the boat. "You're not talking so much today, what's the matter?" I looked up at him. "I'm just not feeling it right now." I replied. He raised an eyebrow at me. "Why not?" he asked. "I'm just not....I feel funny today." "Seasickness?" he joked, nudging me. I recoiled a bit. He looked at me with a smile that faded pretty quickly. "(Y/N)?" I was quiet. Truth of the matter is, I've started to become very attached to my new friend, and I have serious attachment issues. I form bonds, and then out of fear, I push people away once it gets to a certain point. The fear, of course, is them not being in my life at all anymore. "Jesus..." "I'm sorry, Mark. I'll come around." He looked at me reassuringly. "I'm sure you will. We all have bad days. Can you at least tell me what's wrong?" I looked at him uncertainly. "In good time, Mark." I replied. He looked concerned. "(Y/N), you're worrying me." he said. "Don't be worried, it's just a thing." We sailed for awhile, taking in the smoky gray mist. Everything looks so much scarier when there's haze. We sailed along regardless, and I wasn't really sure of where I was taking us. I stopped the boat in the middle of the sea and just sat there, staring out at the horizon. "(Y/N), please talk to me." "Mark, I cannot keep doing this with you." I said. "I'm starting to develop feelings...and I'm afraid you're not going to talk to me ever again." "What?" he asked, confused. "I like you. You're becoming the closest friend I have, and I can't have that. I can't get that close to people. We have to stop hanging out before I make a really deep bond with you and then you leave my life for good." "Leave your life for good?" he asked. "Why would I do that?" "Because doesn't everyone do that?" I asked. "NO." he replied, sounding hurt. "It sure seems that way. People make friendships, and then leave them." He scowled. "Not me." he replied. "I don't play that game." I sighed. "I'm sorry. I have to go back." "That's fine." he replied. "Here. I put you on my plan." he said, handing me a box. I looked at it. "I'll be in touch...if you want me to." I didn't reply, but did thank him for the phone that looked like it cost a fortune. We arrived back at the marina and tears stung my eyes as I got out and tied us off at the dock. Mark looked at me as he got out of the boat. "I'm disappointed that you think I'll just up and blow you off (y/n)." "It's not you, Mark. That's just how I am. That's why I drift like I do." I replied. He looked at me for a long time before kissing me deeply. My breath hitched, and I pulled away and ran away. "(Y/N)!" he called after me, but I didn't stop running.