Mind Games I

A/N: The song is Hot N Cold by Katy Perry

"So he's just moving? Just like that?" my friend asked as I sat on her couch. "Yes." I replied. "This is nuts. He just came over and told me that shit. It's like he's not getting the signals I've sent. It's like he doesn't give a fuck about our friendship anymore." My friend stirred her coffee. "You know, maybe he really is just moving for work. That's how you and your family wound up here. It happens." "We moved here because we had to. He doesn't have to...he wants to." "Well, (y/n), it will make things easier for him. I mean you said he mentioned connections and people. It'd be so much easier for him to gain those if he lived there." "Whose side are you on?" I asked, getting angry. "No one's, I'm just saying...it probably has nothing to do with you." I felt differently. "You should tell him how you feel. Maybe he'll reconsider going." "Yeah, right." I said. "You've got a month to make peace with him and yourself. Do something with it. You'll never forgive yourself if you just sulk, piss, and moan about him like this." I grew annoyed. "You're clearly on his side. This was a mistake." "No, I'm not! I just know how to be rational. Your friend is moving as of now...sorry, but it's not like he's running away from you." "That's what it feels like. I spent all that time trying to tell him I like him, and this is what I get." "You're taking this personally and it's got nothing to do with you. Go find him and apologize for running off like that firstly, and then sort your shit out with him. Make peace. Who knows when you'll see him again after he moves?" I cringed thinking about not seeing him for months, or worse yet, years. "Fine. You're right...let me try to call." I excused myself and went outside, giving him a call. Surprisingly he answered. "I'm sorry." I said. He was quiet. "I didn't expect you to run off like that. I had no idea this would upset you so much." "Well...what can I say, I like having you around." He chuckled. "I like having you around too. I will miss you and this place so much." Hearing that comforted me a bit. "Look...we should get together and talk." "Yeah, of course." he replied. "Where at?" I asked. "How about my apartment?" "I'm on my way." I thanked my friend and got in my car. The drive over to Mark's wasn't that far, but it felt like it took a year to get there. I knocked on his door and waited. He answered, looking a bit uncomfortable. I suppose I couldn't blame him for that. "Let's talk." he said. I took a deep breath and walked in. I wondered if I should just come out with it, but I decided against it. "Look, I really am sorry. I just...I felt like you were running away from me." "Why would I do that? If I didn't want to spend time with you I wouldn't. I can't believe you actually thought that. That hurts..." "I felt like maybe you were forgetting your roots, you know?" "(Y/N), that's insane. I'm not like that...I'll never be like that. I'm not a jerk...not to you, anyway. I don't understand why you'd ever think that about me. Don't you know me anymore?" "Look, I felt like you were running from me because your career had gone to your head." "I get what you're saying, just not why you're saying that. Have I ever acted that way?" I had to admit he hadn't. "Do you really think a change of scenery is going to change me?" I shook my head eventually. He frowned at me. "I'm really surprised at you. Maybe you're the one who's changing." My breath hitched. "What is that supposed to mean?" "The (y/n) I'm friends with isn't this harsh and judgemental of others. She's fair...and sweet. She listens really well, and is a great friend." "Oh, so now I don't do that? Are you out of your mind?" I asked, getting defensive. "No, but you're out of your element right now. You're not being a friend...you're not being yourself. I had no idea you thought I was running from you because I'm turning into a snobby asshole. I thought you were just bummed that we wouldn't live close to one another anymore. I thought you knew me well enough to know that I'm not some snot nosed e-celeb who thinks they're better than everyone else. Shit (y/n), I'm not even rich and famous enough to get away with that attitude...not that I'd ever have it. Hell, I probably never will be, I'm not a fucking movie star or a rock star. I'm pretty fucking hurt by all of this, and I guess I just don't know what to do. I feel like I should run away from you now." I stared at him for a long time. Not gonna lie, I was tempted to slap him one, but I resisted the urge. His face softened. "That was harsh." he said. "I...I'm sorry. Wow." he put his head to his face. "I came here to make peace before you moved, and this is what I get? I was honest with you about the way I felt. Guess I won't be doing that shit again." "(Y/N), please, I'm sorry. I just...couldn't believe that you fucking thought that of me, I mean we've been friends for so long. You of all people ought to know me." I rolled my eyes. "Yeah I thought I did, but now I'm not so sure. Maybe I'm a hypocrite, but you snapping at me like that kinda pisses me off. You're telling me I misunderstood your move...that you're not a jerk and shit, but yet, here you are acting like one." He sighed. "Maybe we shouldn't hang out." he said. "I mean today, not ever again. This is just not a good time. How about next week? Gives us some time to cool off and sort ourselves out." "You'll be lucky to see me again before you move, Mark." That same look of hurt and confusion from earlier crossed his face. "You don't mean that." he said. "Yes I do. I have no idea what's going on with us but I don't like it and honestly, I don't wanna deal with it." "You..." he couldn't find the words. "I came to make peace Mark. You blew that out of your ass. That tells me all I need to know about the way you feel about me." His face changed. "So, in other words, I have no right to ever be upset with you or else we're not cool anymore? That's bullshit (y/n). What has gotten into you? I've never seen you employ double standards." "I just don't care anymore, Mark." I said, turning to leave. "Neither do you, so I guess we're even Steven here." I let the door slam behind me. See? I do push people I like away...the whole time I knew I was wrong, but I just couldn't help myself. Now what? Now he probably won't want to see me before he leaves.I suppose I do know where to find him.