Crazy For You (New Found Glory)

We'd come home last night and gone straight to bed. My Mom and Dad were both in their room watching TV. I could hear them as we walked up the stairs. We went into my room and crawled into bed. I was still upset about the conversation with my father and spent most of the time crying while Harry tried to soothe me so I could get some sleep. I'd finally been able to fall asleep around 1:00 but woke up at 6:00. I snuck out of the bedroom without waking Harry up today, which was abnormal. I figured he had barely slept because he wanted to make sure I was okay. I headed downstairs to the kitchen and started the coffee. I knew that The Circus would all be waking up soon so they could head home to LA. Coffee was going to be the best thing I could do for all of us.

As soon as the pot was done I poured myself a cup and went into the living room and grabbed a blanket before curling up in my spot. The spot where I read every book growing up. Where I dreamed of someday leaving Chicago and moving to Los Angeles to be just like my Pops. I was starting to wonder if those dreams had really been a nightmare. I heard the footsteps coming down the stairs but didn't look up to see who it was.

"I thought you might be the one up making coffee," Mom said as she sat down opposite me. She was still in her pajamas but covered up in a cozy robe.

"I didn't sleep well."

"I heard."

"How?" I asked.

"You got back at a different time than everyone else. I normally know what The Circus sounds like as they roll in. But I heard the door last night and nothing but whispers. Harry texted me while you were in the bathroom to let me know it was you who had come home and that you weren't feeling well. I checked back a little while later, he said you were struggling to sleep."

"Yeah, it was a rough night."

"What, didn't feel well? Drink too much?"

"No, a gossip site published a story last night about H and I."

"I'm sorry. Was it mean?"

"No, shockingly it wasn't." I had grabbed my phone when I left the bedroom so I pulled the article up and handed it to my Mom. She quickly read through it giggling when she should and smiling at the photo of Harry and I from Jonathan's party.

"It's a cute article. Why did this make your night bad?"

"James."

"What did your father say?"

"Oh he's my boss, didn't you know?"

"No, in fact he's not your boss. He's your business partner. He signed over a portion of the company to you when you graduated from college. It was also part of the reason he didn't end up losing his ass when we got divorced. He is not your boss. What did he say?" I could sense my Mom starting to get upset.

"He told me that my career comes first and I need to break up with Harry."

"What? Please tell me you didn't listen to him."

"I didn't. When he told me that my behavior was ruining my reputation and the reputation of the company I decided that I didn't need to listen to him anymore." I took a deep breath. "Mom, I don't know how to deal with him anymore. I think I made a mistake. I should never have gone to work with him. Our relationship is so weird."

"Evie, you're amazing at your job and you love your job. You also love your father. I know he loves you, you're the love of his life. I can't begin to understand where he's coming from with this reaction. The article was cute and if he has a problem with you and Harry then he needs to discuss it with you rather than just make demands." I could hear the stairs creek and looked to see no one in the foyer.