Chapter 1

Sofia sighed as she stared out the window. Her family was moving across the country due to work. She leaned against the windscreen and mumbled, "New school, new friends, new bullies, and new ways for them to abuse me."

Sofia certainly was an abused child. She was bullied too. She had hoped to get new friends at her new school and neighbourhood, but if her parents have any say in it, she'll probably end up in the same situation. Her parents had told the neighbourhood and school that she was a 'problem' child a nd caused everyone to hate her. Especially since Daniel did no help. She sucked in a breath. Daniel. Daniel had revealed the secret that she was having a crush on him, to the whole school. It only caused the bullying to get worse, and she was expecting the same thing to happen here. Since it was technically summer, school wouldn't start for at least another month. "One month," she thought, "One month to get a good name."

"Here we are, darling!" her father exclaimed. Sofia looked outside the window and saw the new house. She saw the removal van outside the lot and instantly ssaw the new house. The garden was overgrown with weeds, the mailbox was barely standing on its pole, and the walls certainly looked like they could use a new coat of paint. As soon as they parked, her father turned to her. "You, girl, you're going to help the removal men with the unloading, and don't you DARE break anything. Otherwise, it's the whip for you," he said. Sofia nodded fearfully. The experience of a whip being brought to her behind haunted her forever.

She was just unloading the sofa when one of the removal men forced her to take a rest, which she gladly accepted. She gulped down the water the man gave her while looking around, taking in her new surroundings.

"I wonder what they'll be like, the neighbours," she thought. She was brought out of her musing when her mother roughly dragged her into the house. Her bedroom back at New York was small, but this new one in Connecticut was absolutely minuscule. In fact, it wasn't even a bedroom at all.

"A CUPBOARD?!" she exclaimed, in her mind of course, "YOU HAVE GOT TO BE BLOODY KIDDING ME!" Looking at her outraged expression, her mother gave her a hard slap. "Be grateful that you even have a place to stay at all. If your father and I were to have our way, you would probably on the side of the highway right now," she said.

"I think even that would be better than living here," Sofia mumbled inaudibly. Her mother pushed her inside and locked the door. "Because of your ungratefulness, enjoy staying here for a week," she said.

Sofia tried lying down on the 'bed' in there, but it only managed to hold half her body, and that was saying something, for the 17-year-old had the body of an 8-year-old girl. "I'm not living," she said, "I'm existing."