Chapter 20

Sofia quickly dried her tears as she heard Daniel come back with the medicine. "Here," he said, handing the spoon to her. At her weirded out look, he sighed, "Cough syrup, drink up." Sofia tentatively took the spoon and swallowed the syrup, her face contorting into that of disgust as the bitter taste of codeine went down her throat. She gagged. "What was in that thing? I've been poisoned!" she exclaimed, dramatically clutching her throat. Daniel rolled his eyes. "Drama queen," he muttered, trying to hide the smile playing at his lips. Then, he thought of something. "Sofia, that's the average taste of cough syrup. Haven't you ever had it before? Surely..."

Daniel trailed off when he saw Sofia shake her head. "Never," she said, "My parents never cared whenever I got sick. In fact, I think his is the first time someone has ever taken care of me." Daniel growled. These people really got on his nerves. They might as well just give her away to someone else whom could take care of her! He was soon aware of the lack of sound or movement coming from the girl, and looked down to realise that she was asleep. He smiled down at his girlfriend, stroking her head. He took a blanket and put it over her form. "Rest well, Sofia," he said, heading towards the kitchen.

.....................................................................................................................

Daniel was interrupted while cooking by hearing someone have a huge sneeze fest, followed by a coughing fit. He rushed to Sofia's side, rubbing her back and handing her a box of tissues. "Thank you," she said. "Don't mention it," he replied. He looked into her eyes and his heart melted. The gratitude that filled them for such simple things made his heart break. He put on a smile and nodded at her as he walked back to the kitchen.

There on the stove, was a pot of chicken soup, ready to be eaten. He took a glass of water and placed it on a tray along with a steaming bowl of soup. He brought it to the living room, where he found Sofia barely staying awake, watching the television. "Hey," he said, gently shaking her out of her dazed state, "It's best if you eat." "Thanks," she said, holding the tray while Daniel went to get his own meal.

Once they were set, Sofia gingerly ate the soup. Daniel just sat there, barely touching his soup as he watched Sofia eat. Soon, he realised, that she was crying silently. "Hey, what's wrong?" he asked, "Is it that bad?" She shook her head, placed the food on the coffee table and clung onto Daniel like a limpet, sobbing furiously.

"I'm sorry," she said amidst sobs, "I'm sorry for being such a bother." Daniel was shocked. "What would make you think that you're a bother? I love you! And taking care of you is certainly not a bother," he exclaimed. "It's just that, even my parents won't take care of me. Why would someone even care for a filthy, ugly, stupid monster like me?" she said. Daniel was confused for a moment. Why would she call herself a monster? Then he recalled the day he made the deal with Sofia's mother.

*Flashback

Sofia scurried up the stairs, nearly falling as her father shoved into her. "Watch where you're going, slut!" he yelled, before grabbing his coat.

He turned towards the sobbing girl in front of him, tilting her head to face him. "Sofia? Does your father..." he gulped before continuing, "Does he rape you?"

Sofia nodded. "He does, Daniel. I'm sorry."