Chapter 22

Sofia blinked as the harsh sunlight made its way into the room. Her head pounded as she sat up. She gingerly placed her feet on the floor, only to face-plant the floor as she stood up. "Sofia?" Daniel called from downstairs. "M'fine," she grunted, slowly peeling herself from the floor. Before she knew it, Daniel was at her side, offering his hand to her. "You didn't have to come up. I could've handled it myself," she said as Daniel helped her up. "What? I can't even be a gentleman and offer my hand to my girlfriend? I'm hurt," Daniel said, feigning a hurt expression.

Sofia smiled. Despite him saying it a million times, his acknowledgement of her as his girlfriend never failed to put butterflies in stomach. "Besides, I need to take your temperature," he said, shoving the thermometer in her direction. Sighing, Sofia placed the thermometer in her mouth. A minute later, it showed that her temperature was 38°C. "Not brilliant but certainly better," he said smiling, "Get some more rest and you'll be up and about in no time!" Sofia grinned as well. "Hope so. I hate being bed confined. Especially when Dr. Daniel keeps on fussing," she said, glaring half-heartedly.

"You don't like staying with me," Daniel frowned. "No! No, it's nothing like that, it's just..." she stopped when she saw Daniel's shoulders shaking, him barely containing his laughter at her hurried response. She frowned.  "That wasn't nice," she said. Daniel was full on laughing when she said that. "I know! It's just that... Gosh, you're just too cute with that expression!" he explained. Sofia rolled her eyes, although she silently longed to hear that laugh again.
---------------

Daniel had given her her medicine while she made herself comfy on the sofa that morning. She was watching a cheesy romance film when a hard knock was heard on the door. Daniel looked out the peep hole and paled slightly. "It's your mum," he whispered. Sofia's eyes widened. "Daniel..." she pleaded, "Please have something up your sleeve."

He thought for a moment and said, "Lie on the floor, pretend to be unconscious. No matter what happens, try not to move. Ok?" She nodded and proceeded to do so, despite her curiosity begging for her to ask what was going on. Daniel opened the door and Sofia heard him say, "Sorry about that, I had my hands full. How are you, Mrs. Anderson?" "I'm great, thanks. Just came to see how things are going along," her mother said. The tone of her voice almost made the hidden question far too obvious; "Or if there's anything I don't like going on." "Where's the girl?" she asked. "Oh, she's right here. Come on in," Daniel said.

Sofia fought to keep her eyes closed as she heard footsteps walk into the room. "Why is she asleep?" her mother asked harshly. "Unconscious," Daniel replied, "The fool managed to knock herself against the wall and pass out." Even though this was just an act, Sofia couldn't help the pang of hurt at his words. She mentally pulled herself together and lay there, as still as ever.

Mrs. Anderson's eyes narrowed. "Okay, I guess that's fine then," she said, "I best get going." "You could stay for a cup of tea if you like?" he offered. "No need. I have to pick up some groceries before my husband gets back. Thank you though," she said. As soon as she left, Daniel closed the door and said, "All clear." Sofia got up and blinked owlishly at Daniel. "What?" he asked. "How on earth do you manage to lie so well?" Sofia replied. "Practice I guess. Trust me, it was hard to hide injuries," he said, grimacing. "Oh, trust me. I know," she responded, "Why did you ask her to come in for tea?" "Best not to give the impression that I didn't want her in the house," Daniel said shrugging. "What if she agreed?" Sofia asked.

Daniel smirked, "I'm going to give her the worst tea she had ever tasted. I don't think she would stay for long." Sofia burst out laughing. She couldn't help thinking how lucky she was. Of all the girls who crushed on him, admired him, even flirted with him, he chose her. The quirky, shy, regular her. "Best. Boyfriend. Ever," she thought.