Chapter 18

"Checkmate," Sofia said for the umpteenth time that day. She turned out to be very good at chess, surprising both Daniel and herself. "Wow," Daniel blinked, "Where on Earth did you learn to play? Heck, you even beat me and I'm the best chess player in the district! Not to brag, of course." Sofia shrugged. "I don't know," she said, "I've never actually played before. I've only seen other people play and learn how to move the pieces from there."

Daniel smiled. "Well, you have always been brilliant," he said, stroking Sofia's cheek, causing her to giggle. "Daniel..." she whined. The clock chimed. 4 o'clock. "Well, it's time to water the plants," Daniel said getting up. "Can I help?" Sofia asked. "You want to help?" Daniel asked shocked. Sofia nodded, the truth was, she actually missed helping Daniel out. "Yeah," she said, "It's not like it would hurt to have an extra pair of hands now would it?" "I suppose so," Daniel said. He lead Sofia to the garden. He opened the door, inhaling the scent of flowers. The summer breeze was blowing, spreading the scent everywhere.

"Achoo!" Sofia sneezed, "ACHOO!" Daniel frowned. "You okay?" he asked. Sofia nodded. "Let's just get on with this, shall we?" she said, sneezing all the way. Daniel's eyebrows furrowed but he allowed Sofia to help him anyway. However, as her sneezes moved onto sniffles and coughs, he decided to try and stop her. "Sofia, I really think that you should rest," he said. "Nah, I'm fine," she insisted.  When they finished and went inside, she looked absolutely dreadful. Her sneezes, sniffles and coughs didn't seem to get better. Despite Daniel's offers on bed, soup and medicine, she was stubborn. "I'm fine, it should be gone in a few hours," she said. It didn't and by the time it was time for her to go home, she was horribly sick. Daniel sent her back and went back to his home as if everything was normal.

However, he couldn't lie. Despite looking calm and composed, he was concerned for his girlfriend. Extremely concerned. As he lay down in his bed that night, he realised that he couldn't sleep. He looked out the window and noticed Sofia's bedroom light on. Her eyes were red and puffy and she seemed to be coughing and sneezing a lot. Her thin blanket was wrapped around her in a desperate attempt to keep warm. She looked out the window briefly and caught Daniel's eye. She smiled slightly and gave him a thumbs up and mouthed the words, "I'm okay. I'm used to this." Daniel returned the smile by sighed when he returned to his bed.

"You shouldn't be," he said to himself.