Chapter Fifteen

Back at the Academy

Back at the Academy..

Jay swallowed down the sudden tightness in his throat while he watched from the shadows as his brothers slipped into the dark abandoned classroom, followed by a figure hidden beneath a black, hooded cloak. With all of his sneaking and watching, Jay already knew who the unseen figure was.

Councilman Samuel Monroe. The fucker who had successfully ripped his family apart and slowly wormed his way into the Academy, brainwashing the students and some of the elders. Rocky was the first to change. Next it was Roman, and then went Mason. Gone were the laid back friends he grew up with, now they were people who Jay hardly recognized. Throughout the year, he held on tight to the last tether of hope as he sought out to redeem his brothers. 

But as the wooden door shut with a heavy thud, Jay did something he should have done long ago. He took that last little tether of hope that he stubbornly held on to and finally let it go.

No longer were they his brothers. They were now his enemies

He didn't know exactly what he was fighting for, but deep down, straight into the marrow of his bones, he knows it was something worth fighting for. And that something, was something so big, it would reach all across the kingdom, changing not only the lives of riders everywhere, but every single human and creature's as well. 

With new found purpose swelling in his chest, Jay carefully crept along the stone walls until he was at the solid oak door. Tapping into one of the gifts of a matured rider, he stretched out his enhanced hearing and took in the conversation that would surely change his life. 

"Drorum's brigade is growing in numbers because of me, but so far, I have seen nothing from you," Councilman Monroe hissed. "You were supposed to be bringing in more riders, yet all you have is twenty. You can't even get your last teammate to join." 

Drorum's brigade? Jay knew that his brothers and Monroe were up to no good, but this was beyond the levels of treachery. What the hell did Rocky and the others get themselves in to? Drorum was a kingdom which laid on the western border of Vrisha. Its lands were beyond corrupt of shadows and wraiths and every wicked creature imaginable. The citizens of Vrisha had been at constant war with them for centuries.

"Rocky is trying," Jay heard his brother insist. That was one of the first things to change—his brother referring to himself in such an odd way. "Jay is stubborn, but he'll be on board soon. Rocky promises." 

"That's what you said last week, you incompetent fool," Monroe seethed. 

"Rocky is no fool," he replied, nonplussed. "He's gotten ten more students to join. It won't take long until half of the school follows. Give Rocky more time."

Mason and Roman stayed silent, both acting as loyal dogs in the background. 

"We don't have much time left. The King is building his own army and it won't be long until he sends his soldiers to come recruit the riders. We need to get to them first, then we can call on Drorum."