Chapter Twenty-Four

Sang

Sang

"We're almost there, it's just passed this village," Luke shouted at me. It was difficult to hear over the wind, so I merely nodded my head. I looked at the Blackbourne team's grim faces as we got closer and felt my own nerves rising.

"Are you ready Gideon?"

He hummed through the bond, his eagerness for something new and unknown invading my thoughts. I ran my hand down his smooth scales to ease my nerves. 

My eyes scanned the village that was now below us. It looked rich with life, and had a beautiful town square. From way up in the sky, I could see villagers bustling through the streets, or relaxing with food and drink. The square seemed to sit in the middle like a source of life, cottages of all shapes and sizes branching out and feeding off of it.

I really wanted to go explore.

I wondered how the school was able to stay so secretive with a village being so close by. Children on the streets pointed up at us and started running in circles with their arms extended, pretending they were flying just like us.  

As we flew on, a castle-like structure peeked over the village, standing tall and proud on top of a hill. It was surrounded by a barrier made out of solid stone, with iron spikes protruding from the top. I shivered. It looked more like a prison than a school.

There was several buildings all across the grounds, but what caught my attention was what looked to be a giant fighting arena with hundreds of bleachers. The pit was lined with sand and had dozens of people standing inside it. The closer we got, the easier it was to make out the students firing stuff at one another.

I couldn't look away.

I'd read many books on magic and creatures, excelled in any scholar activity available in Zalfari, but I'd never seen such magic up close. I could pinpoint the witches from the fae based off of the magic they used. Witch magic presented an unnatural glow of colors I'd never seen before, while the fae relied on the elements they pulled from the earth. 

As we descended, students looked up, curious about the new arrivals. Gideon had a low purr building in his throat when some of the students started backing away, eyes stricken and panicked. I looked over my shoulder, not sure whose comfort I was seeking, but my eyes landed on Silas, the gentle giant I'd come to admire.

You've got this, Aggele, his eyes seemed to say. His confidence built up my own and I felt myself relaxing. 

"Put chin up, Little One. You are not weak." After hearing Gideon's words, I hardened my eyes and lifted my chin. The moment we hit the ground, Gideon shook out his form and lowered down so I could slip smoothly off of him. As my feet touched the grass, my heart began beating erratically in my chest and my legs locked up.

I slid a hand inside the sleeve of my cloak, relaxing once my fingers brushed over a hidden dagger. I had several weapons strapped to my little frame, blanketed and safely concealed by my warm garb. When Gabriel, who was the last to land, stood behind me, the whispers started. A hood covered my face, which meant that all eyes weren't on me, they were completely riveted on Gideon.