Chapter Thirty-Two

Nathan 

Nathan 

"What is the quickest and most efficient way to take down a wraith?" The professor asked, his beady eyes shifting face to face as my classmates stayed silent in their chairs. Sang leaned over me and said to Kota, "It certainly isn't a knife to the heart."

I raised an eyebrow and gave her a lazy grin, "You would know."
She looked very delightful today. Her hair hung past her shoulders and cascaded down her back in gentle waves. The dark circles beneath her eyes had finally faded and she seemed to be settling into the Academy life quickly. When Victor debriefed us on the information they found in the library it had me worried that she would run far and fast, but when she showed up to the barracks the next morning she only seemed a little off. 

Kota's shoulders shook as he silently laughed, and Sang sent me a playful glare. "The wraith that attacked me wouldn't go down with a knife to the heart, Gideon gobbled him up before I had a chance to figure out what would take it down."  

The professor sent Sang a scathing look for talking, which had her cheeks blushing prettily before she quieted down and focused back on the lesson. Nobody raised their hands or spoke, so the professor continued on with a sigh, "The easiest way to take a wraith down is to hit them right here in the heart," he went on while pointing at the right side of his chest, eyes stern. "Wraith biology is nothing like our own and you'll do well to remember that. Now..." 

This lesson went over stuff that I already knew, but I stayed patient throughout the entire class for the girl sitting next to me. Sang perked up and vigorously scribbled notes inside of her notebook while Kota leaned over and whispered to where she couldn't hear, "Is it just me, or has she seemed...jumpy?" 

Though the stress that showed on her face had washed away, she did seem troubled over something. She was always looking over her shoulder and was disappearing constantly. She showed up to her classes, enjoyed lunch and dinner with the team, but the moment she had any spare time, she was vanishing. We knew that it wasn't to see Gideon because after debriefing with our dragons it was clear that he was doing other things during those times. 

Not that the asshole dragon did a whole lot. He still refused to put any effort into getting familiar with his kind. Some days he would laze in the sun, while others he outright refused to come out from the woods. I thought it was because of him being locked up by Monroe, but Luke adamantly insisted that it was simply because the dragon was antisocial. Either way, I hoped he would get over himself. My hopes were that Sang would eventually join our team, the subject hadn't been broached by my brothers yet, but if the dragon couldn't play well with ours, there'd be no point in keeping her with us.

As the professor droned on about the different species in the kingdoms, I took more time to study the female. Where did she go when she disappeared? Who was was she seeing? Doubts crept into my mind as I wondered if she perhaps found another team to join. If that was the case, I'd need to plan ways to sabotage it—discreetly, of course. I wondered if there was a way we could get Luke to follow her the next time she decided to take off. If anybody could do it undetected, it would be him. Mind made up, I decided to track him down after class.