Chapter Twenty-Nine

Sang

Sang

"Next up is archery class," Victor said, which earned himself a groan from Gabriel. We were walking away from the mess hall, where the two had just got done pointing out the bruising nose and jaw I adorned from my fight in the arena. I was glad to find out that riders also had accelerated healing. Sean was able to take the stitches out of my back, but the bruising would take another day to fade. 

I smiled slightly and gazed at him from the corner of my eye. "I take it you're not too big on archery?"

Gabriel's head reared back as he made a disgusted face. "You don't even know the half of it, Trouble. The professor is one unhinged motherfucker, and let's just say that shooting tiny sticks from a tiny piece of rope isn't where my real strength lies."

I threw my head back and laughed. Despite the struggle of starting classes, I was in an oddly pleasant mood. I had gained a lot of ridicule from the other students, but having the Blackbourne team and Jay around was better than being alone. I also felt satisfied that the team was gradually including Jay in more things and I knew that it was only a matter of time before they accepted him fully. 

Kota and all of the others trailed behind us on our way to class. It seemed the only ones who were excited for archery were Victor, Silas, Sean, and myself. The rest were pouting. Even North. I didn't understand why they disliked it so much. I'd mastered several weapons, but nothing made me breathe easier than feeling the weight of a draw string being pulled back in my grip.  

"You're late!" Barked a small in size, elderly creature. My eyes widened when I took in his figure. Shaped as a human, but entirely too short to be one, I realized that he was an elfpointy ears and all. Daggers shot from his eyes as he watched us join the rest of the students. 

Owen leveled a hard stare at the elf, which looked rather strenuous due to the major height difference. "My team is right on time." 

"If I say you're late, then you're late, boy!" The elf waddled up to Owen and swatted at his legs with the curve of his bow. My breath got caught in my throat and I had to hold in the hysterical laugh that wanted to escape my lungs.

"I told you he was unhinged," Gabriel whispered closely, his lips grazing the sensitive skin right below my ear. Ignoring my shiver and red cheeks, he pulled away and continued, "Only someone who is would dare do that to Owen."

I caught North's eyes. There was an emotion in his stare that was almost foreign to me. Possessiveness? Envy? All I knew was that it was too much. Too fast. Taking a deep breath to calm my frayed nerves, I focused back on the elf. Arching his neck back, his gaze locked on mine and he scowled. "And who might you be?"