Chapter Twenty-One

Sang

Sang

The next morning, I awoke with Gideon at the edge of Henry and Janice's property. My back was resting against a tree and I had Gideon's ever growing form sprawled out beside me, his tail planted firmly across my legs. The sun was just starting to peak over the horizon, so I knew it was about time to say my goodbyes. 

When we met up with the others after what happened, I knew many of them were disappointed in me. It wasn't hard for them to guess what happened once they saw the blood coating Gideon's maw. Some of the riders simply smiled and continued on like normal, but I couldn't get a pair of dulled silver eyes glowing in disapproval out of my thoughts. 

Did I do the right thing? Allowing what happened was harsh, but anger and sweet thoughts of revenge blurred the line between right and wrong.

I thought back to the screams and pleas that followed me from a circle of burning flames and my hands began to shake. No. I couldn't let their memory haunt me like they did when they were alive and breathing. 

A single blue eye opened to peer at me. "Calm, Little One."

"I am calm, dragon." The scowl on my face was soft. "Are you ready for what lays ahead? We'll be leaving for the Academy today." 

His eye slid shut and he let out a great yawn, exposing his sharp fangs. "I am.

Though he acted unaffected, the emotions flowing through our bond told me that it wasn't exactly true. He was eager to get out of Zalfari and hit the air, where he belonged. At the Academy, we would be able to train together and become more efficient as a team. He was ready to see some action, and while being honest with myself, I knew I was too. 

"Hey Gideon?" It was time to address what happened the previous night, even if I wanted to push the memory far away. He made a humming noise. "What was that storm last night? I know it came from us but I don't know how. I thought riders only had a small amount of magic and that was not small." 

"I am Tenebrous. Our bond is not like others," he answered cryptically. I prodded his mind, hoping to get a better answer, but he slammed a metaphorical door shut so fast, it jarred my skull. 

"Fine. Keep the answers for yourself," I muttered aloud while childishly pushing his tail off my legs. It hurt that he was hiding things but I had to trust that he was doing it for a good reason.

Before any doubts could creep in, I stood up on numb legs and stretched my arms above my head. My body ached from sleeping on the solid ground, but I didn't regret it. After the night I had, I found myself aching to be close to Gideon and the stars. 

The sound of snapping twigs snagged my attention, so I turned around to find Wil and Derek approaching. They were both wearing their normal garb, which consisted of dark cotton tunics and form fitting black pants. The only thing out of place were the large packs they carried on their backs. They were most likely going on a hunting trip together the moment I left. The thought caused my stomach to sink. How long would it be until I'd be able to join them on such adventures?