Chapter 2

Race walked down the street, thumbs hooked in the pockets of his pants. He could hear the change jingling in his pocket, only adding to his good mood. He turned down a dirty alley, one of his personal shortcuts to Jacobi's, kicking at a bottle and whistling as he took another turn. Maybe he would have enough extra money to actually buy something.

A few more turns and Race was out of the grimy alleyway and standing in front of the small deli, He swung the door open and walked in, grinning when he saw that his friends were gathered there too. Despite the heat, today was definitely going in Race's favor.

"Hey Jack!" Race dropped into a seat at the middle of the table, across from Jack and next to Les.

"Hey Race. Good day at the tracks?" Jack said, noting his friend's wide grin.

"It's been a good day all ova'," he replied. "Sold all my papes pretty quick and spent an hour more than usual watching the races. Made myself an extra dime while I was there."

"You made a whole dime just from watchin' horse races?" Les asked, mouth falling open.

"Les, that's not exactly how it works," Davey shot Race a warning glance from his spot next to Jack.

"Yeah, I made a dime, kid. But I better not catch you 'round there, got it?" Les pouted but nodded his head. "Anyway, I was sayin', even my day started well. Just this mornin' I was headin' to the track and Spot Conlon himself wished me well."

"Oh, he did, did he? And those were the words he used?" Jack rested an elbow on the table, eyes sparkling as he waited for Race's response.

"It was more along the lines of, 'Hurry up and get to Sheepshead, Higgins, 'fore I throw your sorry ass outta Brooklyn!'" Race imitated the older boys deeper voice as Davey glared at him again, having covered Les' ears a second to late. The young boy stared at Race, eyes wide, and Race grinned back.

"I'd appreciate you not using that language in front of my little brother," Davey hissed.

"Now wait a minute Dave, Race here was just tryin' to educate Les, right?" Jack smirked and Race gave a quick nod.

"See Davey, it ain't gonna kill him."

"Yeah, it ain't gonna kill me," Les chirped, pushing his brothers' hands away from his ears. 

"Isn't," Davey corrected under his breath. Race chuckled and turned back to his dark haired friend.

"So, how was your day? Run into any pretty reporters?" Race winked at Jack and nudged his arm.

"I sure did. Ace and I went out for lunch today," Jack grinned.

"Aww, how sweet! Our Jacky's in love!" Romeo exclaimed, throwing an arm across Jack's shoulder as he joined the conversation.

A few boys looked over at them after the shout, and even more crowded around as Les innocently asked, "Jack, if you're in love with Katherine, does that mean you're going to marry her?"

"Of course he is! He might as well marry her, cause half the time he ain't with her, he's talkin' about her."

"You shouldn't be talkin' Romeo. We've all seen how you are with girls," Buttons said.