Chapter 9

"That's it," Jack shakily broke the silence on the walk back to the lodge. "Wese goin' to the Bronx today. This meetin' can't wait any longer."

"I agree," Davey spoke up, voice still hushed from what he'd seen in the alley.

"So youse gonna come?"

"No," Davey said.

"Not even after seein' that?"

"Especially after seeing that. If they're capable of doing something like that, I don't want to be anywhere near them. I've got my family to take care of."

"I do to," Jack replied firmly. "Race!"

Race had been walking ahead of Jack and Davey, speaking soothingly to Mush, though he himself was quite shaken up too. At Jack's call he turned around to face Jack, walking backwards, but not leaving Mush's side.

"Yeah?"

"You wanna come with me on our visit?"

"Are ya crazy Jack? Course I do!" Race exclaimed. "Is we bringin' anybody else?"

"Yeah, we should probably bring one other with us. Got an idea?"

Race thought for a second. "Finch. He ain't been in any scrapes so he ain't hurt at all, and he's pretty handy with that slingshot."

Jack considered it and gave a nod. "When we get to the lodge, you bring him aside and tell 'im, then meet me outside."

Davey watched silently, worried about what would happen to his friends while they were in the Bronx.

When they reached the lodge, Race headed inside, a guiding hand on Mush's arm. Noticing that Davey hung back he said, "I'll tell Les that youse waitin' for 'im."

"Thanks Race."

Jack turned to Davey who had grown silent after the door closed. "I ain't mad at ya for not comin' if that's what youse thinkin'."

"You ain't?" Davey asked, confused.

"Nah, I ain't got enough time to waste bein' angry at you. 'Sides, I understand why ya won't come. You're tryin' to protect ya blood family, I can respect that."

Neither of the boys spoke after that until Race and Finch came out, Les chirping excitedly as he walked between them.

"Davey! Guess what I learned from Albert today!"

"Sorry 'bout that," Finch mumbled. "I tried to keep 'im away from Albert."

Davey shook his head and sighed before turning to Jack. "Good luck."

"I'll tell ya all about it tomorrow," Jack grinned, waving as the brothers left.

Race, Finch, and Jack immediately began walking towards the Bronx.

"So, you knows where this place is?" Finch asked as they headed through the empty streets.

"Nah, but we'll figure it out," Jack insisted.

They continued their several mile journey up to the Bronx, Race cracking jokes as he tried to keep everyone's mind off of what they would soon be facing. Finch joined the easy banter, but Jack kept quiet, trying to figure out how they'd find the leader of whatever was going on, and what he'd say when he got there. His first concern was answered as soon as they stepped off of the bridge.