Chapter 7

I guess I should put a warning up here, because there's some violence in this chapter. It doesn't describe anything bad happening, someone just gets pretty hurt, but it's not life threatening!!!

***

"Whoa! Slow down!" Jack exclaimed, trying to make sense of Elmer's rambling. "What happened?"

"Me and Jo and Mush was goin' to Jacobi's and wese ran into some guys from Kingsbridge. They said they was here on 'business' and then they attacked us!" Elmer exclaimed, more slowly than he had the first time.

Jack thought for a minute before he talked, trying to decide what to do. "Where's Crutchie?"

"Upstairs helpin' Specs clean up the others."

"Are they hurt?"

"Jojo's fine. Mush got it pretty bad, but he'll be alright."

"Go up there and tell Crutchie that I want to talk to him," Jack ordered.

Elmer gave a quick nod. "I'll tell him to come down here to see ya."

"No. I don't want him to have to take the stairs, tell him I'll be up to talk to him."

Elmer nodded again and scurried up the stairs. Jack faced Spot who had been watching the scene quietly.

"What should I do?" Jack asked.

Spot looked at him in shock. "Youse askin' me what to do?"

"Spot, I hate admittin' it, but youse know what you're doin'. I wanna know what you'd do."

"Okay," Spot replied, folding his arms. "First, I woulda gone after 'em at the beginnin' when they stole from Sniper. Youse lettin' 'em get outta hand."

"I can't do anythin' bout that now. Why don't ya give me some advice that I can use?"

"Go talk to them. Whoever's in charge, find 'em and lay down the rules. Soon as possible."

"Alright, I will. Tell me if anythin' gets worse for you."

"It won't," Spot scoffed. "Wese showed 'em who's in charge. We'll be fine."

Spot stood from his chair and left the lodge, walking as confidently as always. Jack waited until he had left before he headed up the stairs to the boys' room.

"Hey there fellas!" He said, walking over to the small cluster of boys. Jojo, like Elmer had said, was a little banged up, but mostly unharmed. Mush, who was laying on his bed, wasn't so lucky.

He looked terrible. His lip was busted and his right eye had already swollen shut, in addition to the cuts that littered his cheeks.

"How ya feelin' Mush?" Jack asked, sitting next to him.

"I've felt better," Mush replied thickly. Jack gently brushed some hair out of Mush's eye and gave a small smile.

"I bet you have," he agreed. "Youse just get some rest, and I'm sure you'll be good as new in no time."

Jack got up and made his way to Specs and Crutchie. Elmer immediately took over Jack's spot as Mush relaxed against his pillow.

"How is he?" Jack asked quietly when he reached the two boys.

"He'll be fine. Just lie youse said, a little rest, and I think he'll be back to normal," Specs said.

"Good. Thanks for lookin' him over Specs."

"Nothin' to thank me for. I'm just helpin' my brothers."

"Wese still 'ppreciate it," Crutchie spoke up.