Chapter 26

WARNING: Darkish chapter ahead!!!! Sorry! (Not really).

***

Sniper and Tommy Boy were seated at the top of the stairs as they listened in on the older boys' conversation. They were discussing the fact that Manhattan was back in a war with Bronx, and the two younger boys hadn't been invited.

"You think that Hook's gonna give us more trouble?" Henry asked in a hushed voice.

"Of course he will, stupid! Where have you been?" Albert said.

"What are we gonna do about it?" Buttons asked.

"I don't know," Specs replied.

"Well I do!" Albert declared. "I don't care what Jack says. If I see a kid from the Bronx, I'm gonna soak 'im!"

"You could get hurt again!" Finch hissed.

"I think we should wait until they go after Brooklyn again. Then we'll have them and Richmond, we won't be so outnumbered."

"Elmer, you actually said somethin' smart for once!" Romeo teased.

"Look Al, Elmer's right. Waitin' is our best option."

"Youse kidding! Finch, we need to show Hook that we ain't scared of his boys! We won't go out alone! Just as a group. We'll all be careful!"

Receiving no support from the boys, Albert huffed. "You heard what they did to Brooklyn, didn't you?"

"Yeah, that's why I don't want to do anything!"

"C'mon Henry, you do want to help people out don't ya? If we get even a couple of guys too hurt to fight, that's less that we'll have to deal with! It'll just make things easier for us!"

"Unless one of use gets somethin' broken and gets laid up in bed for the next few weeks."

"You worry too much," Albert scoffed, rolling his eyes at Romeo.

"I think he's worrying just enough," Specs argued. "In case you've forgotten, Ise been takin' care of all of you these past few months, and I'm gettin' pretty sick of sittin' in that room."

Seeing that he wasn't going to convince anyone, Albert groaned and dropped into a chair. "Wese missin' a chance to be heroes! But if that's what you guys want, go ahead, all of you'll be apologizin' to me when Brooklyn's callin' you yellow!"

None of the boys were moved by Albert's last ditch effort and they rolled their eyes, ignoring the bitter boy. Meanwhile, Tommy Boy and Sniper were looking at each other with wide eyes and open mouths.

"Did you hear him Tommy? Heroes?"

"If we did something and was heroic, they'd have no choice but to take us seriously! They couldn't treat us like kids no more!"

Sniper grinned and got up, racing Tommy Boy down the stairs. They skidded to a stop in front of Albert, immediately bursting into excited chatter.

"Woah! Slow down there, I can't hear neither of you!"

"We'll go with you! We'll help you fight someone!" Sniper chirped.

"Just let me get my coat and we can leave!" Tommy Boy added.

Albert stared at them for a second before bursting into laughter, quickly followed by the other boys. Sniper and Tommy glanced at each other in confusion.

"What's so funny?" Tommy asked.

"You think that wese gonna let you go fight guys on the streets!" Romeo crowed.