Chapter 9: The Realization

Dipper's POV (Just after Bill took him back):
    By now, Bill had already taken Dipper to his new prison. It was dark, had lots of what looked like human sized tubes, chains hanging from the ceiling and medium sized holes in the walls. And for whatever reason, Dipper felt like he had been there before. Bill had given him a little... shock on the way there with his tranquilizer. Dipper's hooves were bound to the ground by glowing blue chains and his hands were tied together with, surprisingly, just regular rope. Bill treated him like shit and there was nothing anyone could do about it. Dipper could speak this time, but barely. He was too scared to try to move, much less speak. Bill had plans for him and they were the ones mentioned in the note... plus more. But Bill just might have one more thing that he wants. The Pines family just didn't know that... yet.
    "Ya up yet, Pine Tree? The tranquilizers should have worn off by now. Or should they? I don't really pay attention to that kind of stuff." Bill said, flipping through a magazine.
    "Ugh... umm... where am I?"
    "And, why should I tell you that~? I just wanted to talk."
    "Talk about what?"
    "About your family~."
    "What about my family?!" Dipper yelled, having confidence for just a moment.
    "Oo-ooh! You're a feisty fawn, are you? All I wanted to say is you're gonna see Sixer soon."
    "Really!?" Dipper squealed (HAHAHAHAHA- note from editor, aka girlfriend to author), just like when Ford mentioned the journals before.
    "Uh... Yeah? I just said that... In a bit, once your pain has gotten much worse, I'll have ol' Sixer over and make a deal with him!"
    "Oh. So that's why. You want to make a deal with him. Of course."
    "What did you think? I was having him over to play Dungeons, Dungeons and more Dungeons with you? Ha! Oh and we better get started on that pain getting worse part, shouldn't we?"
Mabel's POV (Present):
    At this point, Mabel had been going to the lake daily to talk to Mermando for about two weeks. Ford had always been too busy for dinner and had been in the basement rarely coming up for snacks for the whole week. Mabel sadly didn't notice though, being too busy with Mermando and all. Mermando would teach Mabel how to be a part of the merfolk, Mabel would teach Mermando how to be a part of humanity. Mabel would vent all her feelings on Mermando, Mermando would do the same to Mabel. The more they talked, the more Mabel felt like there was something important that she just hadn't thought of yet. Like it was just on the tip of her tongue. Eventually, she realized what it was.
    "Mermando, that's it! I know how to reverse the curse!" Mabel exclaimed.
    "What is it? How do you reverse the curse?" Mermando impatiently asked.
    "I'm not gonna tell you!" Mabel said excitedly.
    "Why? Do you not trust me?"
    "No, I trust you, I just want to build dramatic effect."
    "Huh. Humans will never make any sense to me."
    "That doesn't matter now! You need to put me in my wagon and bring me to the Mystery Shack! And fast!"
    Then Mermando put Mabel in her wagon and listened to Mabel's directions as they rushed to the Shack. When they got to the Shack, this happened.
    "Grunkle Stan! Where's Grunkle Ford?" Mabel asked, rushing her words.
    "Oh, Ford? Yeah, he's down in the basement. Been there a while now. You can go down there if you need to talk to him or somethin'. Oh, and Milo can come with you to roll ya down."
    "Mermando. It's Mermando." Mermando said under his breath.
    "That doesn't matter, Mermando! To the vending machine!" Mabel exclaimed.
    "Of course! Wait, the vending machine? What's that?" Mermando asked, confused.
    "Oh, right. Merman. Forgot. Uh, the thingy that's big and has lots of chips and stuff in it."
    "Oh, ok! That doesn't sound like a way to get to a basement, but ok."
    "Ok, so now type in A, 1, B, C, 3."
    "Ok... what's gonna...," The door opens up, startling Mermando, "HAPPEN?!"
    "Yeah, it'll do that. Anyway, come on! Go in the elevator, press the button for the bottom floor and wait a sec"
    "Ok, the bottom button... is this one right?"
    "Yes. I feel so smart doing this!"
    "Indeed. Looks like we're here."
    "Glad to hear it! Hey Grunkle Ford! I need to tell you some-"
    "WHAT?!" Ford yells, turning around from a cluttered desk with a stained sweater, terrible hair and pen ink around his mouth.
    Mabel silently looks horrified when she sees Ford.
    "I-I'm so sorry, Mabel. I... I'm just worried. Worried about your brother. No matter what anyone says, I know it was my fault. I have to save him. No matter what. What did you want to tell me?" Stanford apologized.
    "Um... it's... it's ok, Great Uncle Ford. I just... I think I, uh, figured out a solution to the whole, well, monster problem." Mabel awkwardly told Ford.
    "Really?! What is it?! Tell me, Mabel!" Ford yelled, not realizing how frightening he was acting.
    "Um, I was just thinking... Well, this is Mermando."
    "Hi." Mermando states, waving as awkwardly as possible.
    "Uh huh, uh huh, get to the point." Ford said impatiently.
    "Yeah, sorry, uh, he used to be a merman."
    "Wait what?! Was he a merman before or after the curse happened?!" Ford impatiently shouted.
    "Before. That's what I'm try-"
    "Then what does that have to do with anything?!" Ford interrupted.
    "IT MEANS WE CAN REVERSE THE CURSE BY MAKING BILL CAST IT AGAIN!! HE USED TO BE A MERMAN, MEANING HE OBVIOUSLY TURNED HUMAN WITH THE CURSE! MEANING BILL'S CURSE MAKES MONSTERS HUMAN TOO!" Mabel shouted, snapping with Ford's rudeness.
    "That... that's brilliant! You're brilliant, Mabel! I'm so sorry I was being so rude. Like I said earlier, I've just been so worried about Dipper and-"
    "It's ok, Great Uncle Ford. I... I completely understand. I've been super worried too." Mabel reassuringly said with a smile.
    "Um... should I go or..." Mermando awkwardly said, trying to remind Mabel he's here.
    "Probably. You can go if you want. I think I'm gonna stay here at the shack," Mabel looks at Ford, "with my family." Mabel smiles at Ford, he smiles back.
    "Ok then. I'm just gonna go back to the lake. Bye, Mabel."
    "Bye Mermando! I'll see ya later!"
    Mermando went back to the lake and hung out with Candy and Grenda for a bit. But he's not what this story is about, this story is about the Pines family. And the Pines family was about to go through something really big. Something that starts with yet another note. Another terrible note.