- c -

Harry had done everything he could to not think about it. James was early to school every day for the next week and a half. He cleaned and recleaned and deep cleaned the house almost 13 times. His yard was garden gnome free. Even his floo sparkled as if it had never been used.

The day of James' birthday he screamed into his pillow before getting up, making breakfast and placing those evil tickets on the counter-island beside his son's plate.

The ebony haired man walked into James' room with a stack of frosted pancakes with 8 candles proudly sticking out the top. He waved his hand, using magic to lift his son off the bed a bit before dropping him back down. When the boy his the bed his eyes peeped open and Harry smiled at him.

"Happy Birthday, Jamesie!"

The small boy was up in a flash. He snatched the plate of pancakes and ran to the kitchen.

"Dad, come on! It's my birthday. I absolutely have to be to school on time today or...or...well I don't know what'll happen, but it can't be good." The boy climbed into his seat and started tucking into his food. Harry stood back and prepared for the moment of truth. As the hazel eyes boy swallowed a gulp of his orange juice he noticed the paper on the counter. He set the glass down slowly before really looking at the papers. He picked his glasses from beside his plate and shoved them onto his face before snatching the papers from the counter.

Harry covered his ears but smiled just as James turned around and screeched happily and threw himself onto his dad for a hug.

"Really? I can really go? You're the best dad in the whole world! Wait 'til I tell Teddy that we're going...wait- Teddy can go too right?" His voice fell as he thought about not having his older brother (Harry never bothered to explain the difference) there with him.

"Of course Teddy's going."

"Brilliant!" The boy shouted before rushing upstairs to get dressed.

Hermione wand-called him almost seconds later.

"I can't drop Teddy and James off today. I'm going to pick up the cake then we're going to start decorating so you need to take them out all day and just bring them back after the concert. Okay?"

"'Mione I don't think this is a good idea, I mean-"

"Okay?" she spoke a bit more harshly this time and Harry knew there was no arguing with that tone.

"Fine. I'll pick them up today."

"Great. I just know you're going to have a good time, all things considered." She hung up before he could respond and he set his wand back on the counter.

"You ready yet Jamesie?"

"I think I'm too old for that nickname, don't you, Dad?" James said as he literally attempted to swagger down the steps towards his father. Harry nodded while trying to hide his blooming smile.

His son had attempted to slick his hair back, but it was still sticking up in places. He was wearing a green tshirt with a mini leather jacket adorned with assorted dragon pins & buttons from his Uncle Charlie, and pair of khakis.

"Oh yeah, of course, James Lucius. Too old to be called Jamesie. That is definitely a baby name, if I've ever heard one. I will make sure everyone knows." Harry snorted a laugh to himself.

"Brilliant," he said nodding resolutely as if he had just closed a huge deal. "Now we have to get to school and I want to walk to the apparation point without holding your hand."