- w -

Harry dropped his phone onto the concrete and Draco watched as the screen shattered before snatching his gaze to the darker man in front of him who had dropped to his knees to tell both of the boys to stay put and running off in the opposite direction. When the blonde went to follow his son grabbed his shirt and stopped him. When he looked down James' hazel eyes were full of tears and his bottom lip was trembling to keep him from crying out.

"What's wrong, JL? What's happened?" Draco said staying down past those glasses into his son's saddened, tearful eyes.

The boy shook his head, not knowing what to say as the tears finally fell. Behind him Teddy sniffled, but crossed his arms and looked away from Draco as if he could stop the man from seeing him cry as he spoke.

"Aunt Val is in hospital."

"What!?" he yelped looking down at the boy who was trying so hard not to cry next to him and then towards the one who was bawling against him, his freckles stark against his red tearstained cheeks.

"Yeah," Teddy responded, still forcing himself not to look at him. "She was in an accident. Pops said to stay with you."

"Okay, guys," Draco said with a nod trying to contain the situation and not work the boys up anymore. "Movie night is going to have to wait. We're going to head on in, yeah?" He looks down at them for responses, but they both seemed too agitated. He bends over and reaches for Harry's phone. When he picks it up the screen lights up on an image of Draco and the kids from when they'd went to the park. Right where Draco's hand met James' was where the cracking screen started. He ran his finger over it and bit back a curse when the glass cut him.

"I want to go see Aunt Val," James screeched through his tears. "I want her to be okay."

"Shut up, James! We can't go until Pops gets back and he won't take you if you're crying like a little baby! He's probably going to send us to Gam's house."

Draco didn't know what to say about Teddy's angry voice over his newfound attitude with his brother who he had, up til now, always been the nicest to. He grabbed both of their hands and apparated straight to the sidewalk in front of their home.

--:--

Harry was sitting with his head in his hands when a soft, weak hand gripped his shoulder. He wasn't sure whether he wanted to scream or sob or-

"Hey, there, my magic man," said a voice just as weak as the rest of her.

"Val!" He said snapping his head up to stare into her deep brown eyes. Her straight hair was tangled and curling at the roots, probably from the last time it rained. Harry ran a hand down the side of her face, softly. "I'm so glad you're okay. What happened?"

"Stop fussing," she said lovingly pushing his hand away as he fiddled with her pillow case. She looked down as she spoke, clearly spooked by her own experience. "I was- My blood sugar got low when I was driving back from the cemetery. I uh- I passed out and someone rammed into my passenger side door." She sniffled and Harry could tell she was trying not to cry.

"Oh gods, Val," he said apologetically, noting his own forgetfulness. "It's your mum's birthday. Where's Wyatt? Why wasn't he with you?"

"My dear brother," she spit sarcastically. "Is over in the colonies for the rest of the month."

"He went to America and left you to deal with this on your own?" Harry looked surprised, but he was more angry than that. "Why didn't you call me? I would have come with you to the cemetery."