Chapter Eight

I woke up on Christmas Eve. After an incredible night as a family, I hadn't had a single nightmare. She felt safe. With a huge grin on her face, she walked downstairs. Dad was already up. I could smell something incredible in the kitchen, and I raced downstairs to see (and hopefully eat) what it was. Pancakes. The single most family orientated breakfast food ever.

"Dad?" I asked, surprised.

He let out a chuckle, "You didn't think it was your mother did you? She can't cook to save her life."

looked up and giggled, just as Tonks came walking into the kitchen.

"I can cook, thank you very much Severus, I appreciate the compliment,"

I smiled and wondered why they didn't stay together.

"Mum can we go shopping today?" I asked, looking up at my mum.

She turned to me smiling, she seemed so happy. I never knew I could see a smile on someone's face that I was the cause of.

"Of course, after breakfast. Why don't you get ready? I'm sure you're father will join us after he does have some papers he needs to mark. But he should be along when he's done," She grinned

I smiled, this Christmas couldn't get any better. As my father turned around placing the pancakes, syrup and a bunch of other food on the table, it almost brought tears to my eyes, thinking of how I had a family. My orphanage days were over. I had a caring family, it was amazing for me to think I finally had what I wanted my entire life.

"Dad, is it the papers we were suppose to hand in before break?" I asked.

"Why yes, I was wondering where yours was. You never hand anything in late,"

"Gimme a second Dad," I replied.

I ran to my room as fast as I could, looking for my 8 page paper on Felix Felicis. It was known as Liquid Luck, and I had made my father a bottle, because he didn't have one. I put the potion in a small box, running downstairs.

"I'm sorry it's late Dad, but I needed this to be perfect, for you," I smiled.

"What did you write about?" He asked.

"Felix Felicis" I responded.

His eyes bulged out of his head, like a bug. I couldn't wait for him to see what else I did.

"Read it," I encouraged.

He gave me a look, a mixture of pride and confusion, before beginning to read.

FELIX FELICIS

Description of Felix Felicis :

The masterpiece; the crowning achievement of my career. Bottled good fortune. Brewed correctly the drinker of this potion will be lucky in all their endeavours, but be warned excessive consumption is highly toxic and can cause extreme recklessness. Fans of Quidditch were quick to protest that a potion which gives the drinker good luck was hardly fair and use of my potion was banned, quite rightly, from all competitive events except potion-making tournaments."

The Effects Of Felix Felicis :

"Felix Felicis is liquid luck, which makes the person who drinks it lucky for a certain period of time."

Felix Felicis causes the drinker to have a limited period of good luck, during which they are likely to to succeed in all endeavours in which success is possible. They have a strong perception of this effect, including a high level of confidence and a "sensation of infinite opportunity." This is accomplished not through direct application of force or granting the drinker any extraordinary powers, but by inspiring the drinker with a favourable pathway through the circumstances. You get the had the sensation that 'Felix' knew what it was doing and that he needed only follow its inspiration, however unlikely the approach seemed as a means of accomplishing your own goal.

A person under the potion's inspiration would likely prove highly adaptable to any unexpected change in the circumstances. There are always infinite possibilities in any situation, some of which doubtless lead to the desired outcome, and Felix can highlight them no matter what happens.

Though Felix Felicis confers no extra powers on the user, it seems capable of drawing out the best reserves of their ability if needed. Harry was able to use refilling charms non-verbally, even though he had not yet managed it in his previous classroom practice.

There is a period of 'coming down' when Felix Felicis wears off. During this time, the user's sense of confidence fades, and unlucky circumstances can quickly catch up to them if they are not vigilant. It is unclear whether Felix wearing off actually increases the user's bad luck in a small overbalancing period (though obviously not so great as to undo whatever they have just accomplished), or whether the user simply keenly perceives the return of 'ordinary' levels of luck and all the subsequent challenges and dangers.

The Limitations on Felix Felicis :

The potion's effectiveness seems to wane after a certain amount of time, Overdosing is dangerous, as it is very toxic in large quantity, and over-reliance on it may lead to dangerous overconfidence, giddiness, and recklessness. The potion is very difficult and time-consuming to brew, and disastrous if concocted incorrectly. Due to its effects, it is considered a tool of cheating and therefore prohibited in organised events such as Quidditch and examinations.

Etymology Of Felix Felicis:

Felix is the Latin word meaning happy or lucky. 'Felicis' is from the same root, but declined in the genitive case. It is translated as 'of luck.' Therefore, Felix Felicis means 'Luck of Luck', 'Lucky Luck' or 'Luck's Luck.' Another translation might be 'Happy Luck.' In Latin, the words are pronounced by saying its nominative, followed by its genitive

The Brewing instructions for Felix Felicis:

1. Add Ashwinder egg to a cauldron, then ass horseradish and heat

2. Juice a squill bulb, add to the cauldron and stir vigorously

3. Chop up anemone-like growth on the back of Murtlap, add to mixture and heat

4. Add a dash of tincture of thyme and stir slowly

5. Grind up Occamy eggshell and add to mixture

6. Stir slowly then heat the cauldron

7. Add a sprinkle of powdered common rue

8. Stir vigorously then heat the cauldron one last time

9. Wave wand over potion in a figure eight and say incantation 'Felixempra'

My father looked so shocked. I smiled, handing him the small box. He looked at me weirdly, slightly concerned with what else I had done. I giggled. My mother looked at us both completely confused and oblivious to what was happening.

"Open it dad" I said, shyly smiling.

"What did she write about?!" Tonks interjected.

"Felix Felicis" Dad whispered, sounding like he was still in shock.

Her mouth dropped in shock. She knew not many people had heard about that potion, but I was nearly as smart as a seventh year, even though I was only a fourth year. Dad smiled he slowly opened the box. He then proceeded to almost fall off his chair.

"How..How did you do this how did you create this?" He gasped.

"I didn't want to do it the easy way, and go into your ingredients, so I went looking everywhere I could. I know you don't have one, so I thought it would be good to add to your collection,"

He smiled, getting up hugging me really tight.

"This would be the best present ever, but having a daughter like you just beats it,"

I started sobbing in happiness, hugging my Dad tightly back. Then, two owls had came flying into the windows.Mum walked over and grabbed both the letters.I looked at my mum as she handed Dad the other letter. My heart dropped as their faces went from happy, to devastated.

All I could think was, 'What was happening?'