01|| Putting the Past Behind

"Knock, knock." The aristocratic drawl, with the combination of knuckles rapping on wood,  woke Hermione from her slumber.

She looked up to see a smirking Draco Malfoy standing at her office door. The years had been good to him. He didn't look too different from their school days. His voice had gotten deeper, his hair a little darker and less styled, and he'd grown a bit since Hogwarts, but his eyes still held a strong confidence. His jaw still set proudly.

"Oh, hello, Healer Malfoy, do you need something?" She stifled a yawn.

"Good morning." Draco dropped a couple of pictures and a report in front of her before casually resting his hip against her desk. "Would you mind taking a look at these? I'd like a second opinion."

Bringing a hand to her tired eyes, Hermione reached for the photos and documents. "Of course, just let me-" A low rumble came from her abdomen reminding her that she hadn't eaten in a while. She dropped her hand to her stomach, trying to silence the persistent growling.

"You haven't had dinner, have you?" Draco tilted his head and looked down at her with amused eyes. She rarely remembered to eat dinner during work.

"No, I just haven't had time."

He grinned. "Well I was about to go grab something and maybe a cup if you want to join me. We both get off in half an hour."

Hermione nodded as she continued to study the photos and accompanying paperwork. "Your analysis is correct. This is a simple Billywig sting, why did you want me to look at it?" Her brows knit together as she lowered the scans and looked up at him. "You're more than qualified to make that diagnosis. Also, why do you have photos of an adult? We work with children."

"Oh, the others and I just needed an excuse to check on you, Dean Thomas let me borrow them, mostly cause we hadn't heard or seen you in a few hours. You do tend to spread yourself a little thin, you know? We wanted to make sure you hadn't died and left us more paperwork to do." He smirked.

Hermione shook her head and tried to hide the smile that came to her lips. "Your concern is touching." She chuckled at his comment. "I'm fine, really. Let me make a quick stop in a patient's room and I'll be ready to leave, meet me at the front doors."

Draco lazily pushed away from the desk and sauntered out of the room. She rubbed her eyes and let out a yawn. He was right, she did spread herself just a little thin. Everything she did she gave 100% and that often left her exhausted, sick, and completely worn out. She smiled to herself as she looked over the pictures once more. Who knew that she and Draco would be working together only six years after Hogwarts, and that they'd be getting along relatively well?

~~~

It had been about four years since Draco started working at the hospital. He was supposed to spend six months in Azkaban for his part in the war, but his sentence was reduced to three weeks house arrest on an account of the Malfoy's switching alliances, good behavior, a good portion of the Malfoy fortune going to rebuilding efforts, and the fact that he never actually hurt anyone. Draco then started studying healing. It wasn't easy, trying to convince his professors that he was serious about helping others, after years of cruelty, but one professor in particular look a liking to him and, with his help, Draco made it through schooling and landed a job at St. Mungo's in the newly opened pediatric ward; children tended to be more forgiving than adults.

Hermione was nearly finished with her residency when The Director came up to her and offered her a position, which she readily accepted. The Director then asked her for a favor, "You have every right to reject this," He told her. "but I need someone to watch over a new resident we will be getting." She quickly agreed only for the Director to shake his head. "Let me finish. He's had some rough times in his life, and many people don't like him. You will keep your position here whether or not you decide to help me. I'm not speaking as your boss, but as a friend. Give him a chance. Try seeing in him the same thing I saw in you. Potential and a desire to help." The Director then informed her that Draco Malfoy was the new resident at the hospital and despite everything that he had done in the past, he believed in him. "You have one week to decide. Please think this over thoroughly."

Initially, Hermione wanted to reject the offer outright but that night she thought about it and decided to agree to the arrangement, with one condition. "If at any point, I feel like this isn't going to work then I ask that you place him under the supervision of someone else." She set her jaw firmly and waited for The Director to respond.

The Director's eyes twinkled as he regarded her over the top of his glasses, strongly reminding her of Dumbledore. "You're not one to back down from a challenge." Holding out his hand, he smiled at her. "Agreed. If you begin to feel like you can't handle him, then I will move Mr. Malfoy immediately. Thank you. He'll be here tomorrow morning."

Giving his hand a firm shake, Hermione left his office and began creating a list of rules Draco would need to follow in addition to the regular hospital rules.

The first few weeks were difficult. She couldn't help but hold onto her resentment and he had difficulty letting go of his arrogance. They constantly butted heads and argued until one day, Hermione snapped. She dragged him to the alley behind the building and shoved him against the wall. "I'm doing this as a favor to The Director, but that doesn't mean I won't drop you faster than a Doxy." She pushed a finger into his chest. "One word from me and you'll be removed from my supervision and placed with someone else and I can promise that they won't be as patient or as forgiving as I am." Hermione turned around and laced her hands behind her head before letting out a groan of frustration.

Draco had remained silent during her outburst. He dropped his eyes to the ground. "I'm sorry." He muttered.

Her head whipped around at that. "What did you just say?"

He lifted his eyes to meet hers. "I said I was sorry. I'll try to be nicer." His stormy eyes held no deception, just embarrassment and shame. He rubbed the back of his neck. "I can't promise it'll happen right away, habits are hard to break, but I will try." He said sheepishly.

She gave a stiff nod, a little too shocked to give a proper response. "We'll have to find some common ground if this is going to work. I want to give you a second chance, I really do, but you make it so difficult."

"I can be rather infuriating." He smirked at her, almost as if he was proud of that fact.

"Well, do your best to be a little more agreeable."

"I'll try." He held out his hand and Hermione automatically took it without thinking. He gave her hand a firm shake. "We both want to help people, let's start there and then work on finding common interests."

She almost smiled.

The following four years went by much more smoothly, that isn't to say that they didn't butt heads occasionally, but somehow, they managed to put aside their differences and work together.

~~~

Hello! Thank you for reading my story. I'm working on chapter two so watch for it, I'll post it as soon as I'm finished. Please feel free to comment and let me know what you think!