33 || Infected

Hermione rolled up her sleeves as she turned over another paper. "This is the current potion that we have to treat the illness. It doesn't cure but it does lessen the symptoms, for the time being." She handed the paper towards Blaise. "What do you think?"

"Well, if what you tell me is true then this is only a modified version of another medicine. It's only treating symptoms, not the actual illness. You can treat symptoms till you go blue in the face but if you aren't targeting the illness." He frowned and shook his head. "No. Let me..." He picked up a quill and began writing on the page. "Actually, let me grab a few books." Blaise stood and strode out of the room.

"Inaya , have you found anything out about the source of the illness, how it was created?" Hermione flipped the pages of a book as she waited for the Healer to respond "Iyana?"

The witch's eyes were fixed on Hermione's forearm. "Healer Granger. Tell me about that scratch."

She frowned. "A patient scratched me, it's nothing. I'm thinking that it may be possible-"

"How long ago? Which patient?" Iyana grabbed Hermione's wrist and examined the cut.

"About four days ago. It was the patient we were-" Hermione stopped as Draco's eyes snapped up.

"The patient with the illness?"

She blinked. "Yes, but I was careful, I didn't come in contact with..." Her eyes widened and she looked down on the small scratch on her wrist. "No. He didn't. There wasn't." Hermione took a deep breath. She shook her head. "No. No." She whispered.

Inaya pushed her into a chair. "Who have you come in contact with?"

"No one."

"Have you kissed anyone? Slept with anyone?" Her eyes darted over to Draco.

"No!" Hermione blushed. "I haven't touched anyone since that boy scratched me. It was at the end of the night. I went home, showered and then went to bed. When I woke up, I went to the conference."

"You spent the night with Draco."

"Get out of my head." Her cheeks burned. "I didn't sleep with him. I just, slept on his bed. Next to him, that's all."

Inaya's eyes narrowed. "Director Lefebvre!" The French Director looked up. "She's possibly been infected."

"No." Draco took a step forward.

Inaya ignored him. "She hasn't been in contact with anyone else, but she could be a carrier. We need to get her to quarantine."

Blaise walked back into the room with his arms full of books. "Alright, I've found-"

"No!" His voice was more forceful this time. "You two will stay here and help Blaise. I will take her to the hospital and our Director will decide if she needs to be quarantined." Draco glared at the witch.

Director Lefebvre regarded Draco with sympathy. "I believe that I should accompany you. Director Reynold's is a brilliant Healer but I am more familiar with the illness in question. I will join you, and Iyana can continue working with Mr. Zabini."

Draco gave a stiff nod in return.

"Wait, what's going on in here?" Blaise looked between Draco and the French Director in confusion.

Inaya took the top book from Blaise. "Healer Granger may be infected with the illness."

"No." Draco snarled. "We don't know that."

Blaise paled. "Infected? With The Illness? This illness?"

"No." Draco took Hermione's right hand and The French Director took her left.

"Please continue working, I'll keep in contact. Let's go." With a snap, the three of them left leaving Blaise panicked and confused.

"She's got The Illness. This is going to kill him."

Inaya flipped through the book. "Do you have any coworkers who could help us?"

Blaise frowned. "She's not a coworker but she could definitely help us. She knows more about plants and their uses than anyone I work with."He pulled out a piece of papered began writing.

"Perfect. Tell her to come over. Immediately." She picked up a quill. "He's in so much pain." She said softly. "This will do more than just kill him, it'll destroy him. He's loved her for so long and now that she finally realizes it and loves him as well..." She shook her head. "He's never had someone who's loved him unconditionally before. Only his mother."

Blaise looked up from his letter. "Hermione does."

She smiled. "Which is why this will destroy him. She's good for him. Perfect for him. She keeps him human, brings out the best in him."

He folded the paper and placed it in an envelope. He held up the letter and the owl sitting in the corner snatched it out of his hand before flying out the window. "Luna will be here soon. She's different, an acquired taste, you could say, but she's brilliant. If anyone can cure this, it's her."

~

"I'm telling you guys, I'm fine." Hermione sat on a hospital bed with a peeved look in her eyes.

"We won't know that for sure for a few days." The Director stood at the foot of her bed. "Healer Granger, I know this isn't what you want but if you have The Illness, we don't want you to spread it. Please understand."

She glared at the wall. "I do but I'm telling you, I'm not sick."

The French man regarded her with sad eyes. "That may be true, but we must keep an eye on you until we find out if you are infected." His gaze flitted to the Healer standing in the doorway, stewing in silent anger. "Healer Malfoy, I believe you should return to Mr Zabini's to assist him.

"I'm staying here."

Director Lefebrve strode over to the door, took hold of Draco's arm, and dragged him out of the room. "You're doing no good here. As much as you don't want to admit it, she could be infected. You'll be more helpful assisting Iyana and Blaise in finding a cure than standing here glaring at us. If she does have The Illness, she needs your help."

Draco clenched his jaw and pushed away from the French director. He walked back into the room and stood next to her bed. "I'm heading back to help Blaise. Do you need anything?"

Hermione nodded. "Bring me a copy of every book Blaise has. If I'm going to be stuck here, I might as well put my time to good use. All the notes, every book, bring them to me."

He nodded and looked back at the two directors. "I'll bring them by later tonight." His fingers stretched towards her hand before they fell to his side. "It'll be fine. You'll be fine."

She looked up at him and smiled. "I know. I have one of the most brilliant minds working on a cure. You and Blaise are helping too."

The corner of his mouth twitched in amusement. "See you tonight."

~~~
Thank you to everyone who is reading my story!!!!! School is getting rather busy and I don't see myself being able to post until finals are over sometime in April, but I'll try to finish writing and post the next chapter sometime in the next couple of months. Thank you again!