28 || Travel

"Now as many of you know, the Medical Conference in France is coming up soon and we are to send two Healers to represent our hospital. I've chosen Healers Malfoy and Jeffers to attend. Please meet me in my office for detailed instructions." The Director nodded. "That is all. Jeffers, Malfoy, follow me." He waved the two after him.

"Why me?" Draco immediately asked. "There are more qualified Healers to go to this conference. Why me?"

The Director motioned to the seats before his desk and sat in his own chair. "I trust you, Healer Malfoy. I also believe that you will appreciate this opportunity and give it your full attention. You also were one of the few to actually work directly with the patient whose illness fits the description of the one that will be discussed at the conference. Now I need both of you to arrive in France by Floo at 6pm sharp. Meet here, in the Lobby, by 5:30 pm so I can give you your final instructions. You will be in France Wednesday night, Thursday night, and will leave Friday afternoon when the conference has commenced. Please take detailed notes as many important things will be discussed, specifically this recent outbreak and what advances are being made to solve it. You two will also need to prepare a report on the hospital and our encounter with the illness. You'll need to present this report at the conference. Healer Malfoy, I'm entrusting that task to you. You are dismissed."

Healer Jeffers, who had remained silent through this exchange, waited till Draco had left the room to speak up. "Director, I have something to say."

"Of course. What's on your mind?"

"Director, I don't think I should go on this trip."

"Why is that, Healer Jeffers?"

"Well," The old Healer scratched his chin. "I'm getting a little old for that kind of excitement and I'd really rather stay in London. My memory isn't what it was ten years ago and I believe someone younger will gain more out of this trip than I."

The Director leaned back in his chair and narrowed his eyes. "Oh really? And do you have someone in mind to take your place?"

Healer Jeffers pretended to consider for a moment. "You know who would do well? That Healer Granger. She is a rather smart one. Yes, I do believe she would do just fine. She also worked with that ill patient so she'll understand what they're talking about."

"Healer Jeffers, are you seriously suggesting that I send Healers Malfoy and Granger on a trip to France together? For two days? Alone? You know how he feels about her."

"Now look here, I believe that they will be fine. Healer Granger is too much of a stickler to the rules to do anything. And Healer Malfoy cares too much about Healer Granger to pull anything on her. I mean no disrespect when I say this but I believe that, just this once, you should lift that rule of yours."

The Director took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes. "I wish I could but if I bend the rule for one next thing you know, everyone will be asking for a bend in the rules."

Healer Jeffers crossed his arms and leveled his gaze at him. "Garrick, who would ask you to bend this rule for them? I'm married, Healer Abbot has her eye on some guy named Longbottom. Healer Burns is married. Healer Thomas is dating someone. Would you like me to continue? We only have three other single Healers in St. Mungo's and they're all men. Two of which go out with women on a regular basis. Now lift your rule or not, that's up to you, but I believe that Healer Granger should take my place at this conference no matter what. She has worked more closely with this Illness and is very bright." With a firm nod, Healer Jeffers turned and left the office.

The Director couldn't help but smile a little when the older Healer left. He'd known Conan Jeffers since they were both in school to become Healers. The two started together and quickly became the two best Healers of their day. Healer Jeffers wanted nothing to do with the politics of the hospital and declined the offer of Director when it was made. Instead, recommending Garrick Reynolds for the position and there he sat today. Healer Jeffers was like a brother to The Director, the only person who could somehow respect both him and his position while still managing to question his authority with every decision. The man was amazing, at this age making the Director feel like a scolded child.

"Healer Abbot." He called to the passing Healer.

"Yes, Director?"

"Grab Healer Granger for me, would you? I need to speak with her."

"Of course, Director."

~~~

Hermione was still a little in shock when she ran into Draco later that day.

"Woah, are you sleepwalking or just daydreaming?" He took her shoulders and frowned at her dazed expression.

"The Director just spoke with me." She tilted her head to the side and looked up at him. "He wants me to take Healer Jeffers' place at the Convention this week. We'd arrive Wednesday evening and come back Friday afternoon."

Draco straightened and blinked. "He wants you and I to go to France, together?"

She nodded.

"Well," A wicked smile settled on his lips. "we better not disobey the orders. To France it is."

"Draco," Her stern tone made him raise his eyebrows. "I don't think it's a good idea. I'm going to tell him I can't attend."

He glanced to the side before pulling her into his office and closing the door. "Hermione, we haven't done anything wrong. We're friends who spend time together, go to dinner sometimes. Friends." He argued.

"I know that, but I feel like we're breaking the rules just by spending time together. My feelings for you are more than just friendship, I think I want more than just friendship with you. But if we really are "just friends" then I think we should act like that. Friends. Nothing more."

Draco took her cheeks in his hands and rested his forehead against hers. He closed his eyes. "Why would you tell me that? Hermione, you're making this very difficult for me." He sighed and released her. "I have to go. I'll see you later." Draco walked out of his office and down the hall. He was tired of it. Tired of feeling miserable. If he lost his job, he didn't care. It was time he talked to The Director.