22|| Christmas Gifts

It wasn't often that Hermione worked the graveyard shift at the hospital, but she decided to work Christmas Eve. Many of the other Healers had children and families who they wanted to spend the evening with, Hermione's parents were out of the country for the holiday, courtesy of Hermione's Christmas gift to them, so she offered to work the late shift to give others a chance to enjoy the night. There were three of them working that night: Hermione, Draco, and a senior Healer named Stephan Jeffers. Many of the patients were given permission to go home for the night. Any patients who were unfit for travel had their families sleeping over. Draco sat at the Healer's Station with his feet propped up on the table, relaxing as the night went by.

"Rooms 315 and 335 are down for the night and Sarah's mom just left but she'll be back in a few hours." Hermione sat herself down next to Draco's feet and played with the laces on his shoes.

"Has she gone to visit Sarah's dad?" He had closed his eyes and laced his fingers behind his head.

Hermione nodded. "He's being kept in lockdown till the Ministry decides what to do with him."

"Worthless man, I hope they throw him in Azkaban for a few years before giving him The Kiss. Doing that to all those children, to Sarah."

"Shh." She hissed, carefully tying his laces together. "Sarah's still awake."

"Right. What time will her mom be back?"

"She said around midnight. Maybe one." She stood up. "I got you a Christmas present." He wordlessly held out his hand expectantly. "I'll give it to you later but right now, room 323 needs you."

"Alright." Draco slid his feet off the desk and started walking towards the specified room. He didn't make it more than one step before he face planted it into the floor and was met with a burst of laughter from the culprit. "Hermione!" He groaned in pain.

"Meet me by the teapot when you're finished." She strode off without another word.

"Bloody woman."

~

Draco, still in pain from his previous encounter with the floor, hobbled over to the teapot and leaned against the counter. "I'm gonna get you for that one."

Hermione giggled and held out a small package wrapped in dark green paper with a deep burgundy bow. "Go on, open it. It's not much."

Cautiously, Draco took the package from her hands and opened the box. Inside, nestled upon a bed of cotton, was a small silver key. It looked familiar but he couldn't place where he'd seen it before. He looked at the key then at her, then back at the key.

"As you know, my flat is charmed so only an enchanted key can open it, that key. It's a spare to my flat." She wrung her hands. "I know we aren't dating or anything like that, and this isn't an invitation to date or to live together, but I feel like we're really good friends and you tend to end up at my house almost every night due to us just talking, getting something to eat, or me falling asleep at work." She took a deep breath. "So I know that if I lose my key, you'll be the one to get me home."

Draco lifted the key with an awestruck expression. "You trust me with a key to your flat?"

"I trust you to make sure I get home safely. Every night. I'm sorry it's not more. I was at a loss."

"Wow, my gift to you's not nearly this good. Thank you." He leaned over and placed a light kiss on the top of her head. "Really." The fact that she trusted him at all was enough for him but this. This was a different level of trust entirely. "It's perfect." Why didn't he get her something better?

Hermione relaxed and beamed up at him. "So where's your 'not nearly as good' gift for me?"

Draco pocketed the key and held out his hand. Automatically, she took it. He tugged her closer to him as his other hand slipped around her waist, closing the distance between them.

"What-"

"I know there isn't any music." He whispered, resting his cheek against her temple and holding their clasped hands to his chest. "But I've noticed how much you enjoy dancing while making breakfast, and I thought, maybe you'd want to stop dancing alone," They started to sway. "and start dancing with me." His voice had gotten softer till it was just a breath in her ear. Hermione closed her eyes and buried her nose against his neck, focusing on the feeling of his hand flat against her back, his chest pressed up against her, and his fingers gently gripping her own. The beat of his heart, matching the rhythm of her own. She curled her fingers around the fabric on his back and held herself closer to him.

"This is perfect." She breathed. "You said you hated dancing."

He rubbed his cheek against her temple and smiled. "I'll dance for you. But if you tell anyone about this, I'll vehemently deny it."

"Won't tell a soul." She responded breathily.

"Happy Christmas, "Mione." His words softly caressed her cheek, sending goosepimples down her neck.

"Happy Christmas, Draco."

The two stayed like that, swaying to the silent music, so lost in each other's embrace that they didn't notice the older Healer standing with a little girl just down the hall.

"They're perfect for each other, don't you think, Healer Jeffers?" She reached up and took his wrinkled hand in her own.

The older man turned his head downward to look at the girl beside him. "I do believe you're right, Sarah. Now let's get you back to your room. Your mum will be back soon and I don't think she'll be happy about you wandering the halls this late at night."