23|| Christmas Day

Hermione crossed over to the Healer's station and stood beside Healer Jeffers' shoulder. She'd been searching the floor for Draco for the better part of the hour but had yet to find him.

"Healer Jeffers, have you seen Healer Malfoy? I've been trying to find him but I can't seem to."

The older Healer looked up from the desk and frowned. "Last I saw he was headed into Sarah's room but that was nearly two hours ago. Do you need help with something?"

Hermione shook her head. "I just needed to ask him a question, that's all. Thank you." She turned and headed to Sarah's room. Softly knocking on the door, she pushed it open and paused at the scene before her. Draco was sitting in the chair beside Sarah's bed with his legs stretched out in front of him. His head was leaned back, his eyes closed. His bangs fell untidily over his brow. A sleeping Sarah was sprawled on his lap with her head resting against his chest. His left arm was wrapped protectively around her shoulders, his right arm was hanging limply over the edge of the chair. Hermione smiled at the two then quietly crossed the room towards them. She gently brushed his hair away from his forehead and ran her fingers down his cheek. Immediately, a hand latched onto her wrist. Her wide eyes met his stone orbs. It only took a heartbeat for recognition to set in, followed quickly by realization.

"Hermione?!?" Draco released her wrist and nearly dropped the girl in his lap as he tried to stand.

"Careful," She pulled back the covers and helped him deposit Sarah into the bed.

"Hermione, I'm so sorry-" The finger to her lips caused Draco to stop apologizing.

"Come on." She quietly exited the room and closed the door behind them. "It's fine. I'm sure you didn't do it on purpose. Do you still sleep rather lightly?"

He nodded somberly. "If I sleep at all." A common theme among those who had fought in the war was sleep troubles. It didn't matter which side you fought on, sleep often eluded all survivors. Ginny had nightmares, Harry never could get more than three hours a night, even Blaise, who kept relatively far away from the battle had difficulty sleeping. The only exception seemed to be Luna who claimed it was because she never slept particularly well before. 'Cause I sleep walk.' she'd say.

"Me too. I can't seem to fall deep enough into sleep to get a healthy night's rest. I always keep thinking that something will happen." She smiled at him and rubbed his arm. "Morning shift will be here soon, better get ready to go."

His hand caught hers as she walked past him. "Are you going to The Burrow tonight?"

"Probably around four."

"Don't let Weasley make you feel bad. No matter what he says. You make your own decisions and each mistake you make is your choice." He kept his eyes down. "He never deserved you."

"What are your plans for Christmas?"

He shrugged casually. "Probably just sleep."

"Come with me." Hermione blurted out.

"I'm sorry, what?"

She gripped his fingers tightly. "Please. I don't want to go alone. I haven't seen them since, since the park and..."

His face was grim. "Do you think it would be a good idea for me to come?"

"I guess not." She dropped his hand and took a step back.

"I'll come." Draco amended. "I'll come."

~~~

Hermione stood at the edge of the Weasley's property. The Burrow was covered in a thick layer of powdery snow which sparkled brilliantly in the evening sun. She knew she should go inside, but she didn't want to. Who would she first see? Mrs. Weasley? Ginny? Ron? She quietly prayed that Harry would be the person to find her.

"I shouldn't have made you come. This is going to be awful." She placed a hand on her forehead. "I'm so sorry."

"It's fine. Calm down." He placed a hand lightly on her waist and pushed her forward. "Let's just get this over with." He muttered grimly.

Taking a deep breath, she made her way to the front door. Three sharp knocks later and a jubilant Mr. Weasley was embracing her.

"Hermione! Molly will be so glad to see you." He released her and ushered her inside. "Molly! Guess who just arrived!" His jovial demeanor dropped as Hermione stepped through the door and he saw her companion. "Draco Malfoy."

A frazzled looking Mrs. Weasley hurried into the living room. Her face instantly warmed when she saw Hermione. "My dear," She engulfed her in a hug. "so pleased you could make it. Draco, my dear. I didn't know we'd have the pleasure. We're... happy to have you."

"I apologize for not letting you know he was coming. I kind of sprung it on him last minute. Do you need any help with dinner?"

"Of course not dearie. We'll be having dinner in an hour, everyone is in the dinning room. Go sit down, make yourselves at home, and grab a cup of spiced cider." Mrs. Weasley gently pushed them through the doorway and into the dining room.

The room immediately fell silent when they entered. Ginny's eyes narrowed before they darted towards Ron. Harry stiffened in his seat and gripped his cup tightly. Ron's face instantly turned a deep shade of red. Bill was the first to spring to his feet, followed short by Fleur, George, and Ginny.

"Hermione!" He wrapped her in a bear hug. "Good to see you!" His eyes darted towards Draco. "You must be Draco Malfoy. I don't believe I've really had the pleasure."

Draco nodded stiffly and shook Bill's outstretched hand.

"'Ermione," Fleur gave her a hug before walking over to Draco. "Draco, welcome." She placed a kiss lightly on each of his cheeks before settling down next to her husband.

Ginny latched onto Hermione's arm and dragged her into the seat next to she and Harry. "Hermione, we're so glad you could make it. You're parents are?" Her eyes darted to the doorway then back to Hermione.

She gave Ginny a light hug. "Mum and dad are in Australia for Christmas so it's just me this year and um, Draco." She nodded towards him as he seated himself in the corner.

"Hey, 'Mione. Draco." Harry gave her a warm smile before glancing at Draco then towards Ron, the latter of whom was incredibly interested in the table all of the sudden.

"How's work?" George inquired.

She shrugged. "Busy as ever, still trying to recover from the attack we had a few months back." Bill tensed for a moment before nodding sympathetically.

"I actually wanted to talk to you about that. I was thinking that maybe I could help those who were attacked. I have a couple weeks off of work and thought I could talk to them." Bill rubbed his scarred cheek. "I know first-hand what it's like to live after a werewolf attack." Fleur beamed up at her husband and rested her head on his shoulder.

Hermione smiled gratefully at him. "I think they would appreciate that very much. If you want to stop by tomorrow, we could maybe work something out. Many of the victims have started a support group and I believe they'd be grateful to hear a firsthand account. Where are all the kids?"

Ginny grinned. "Dad's got them out back. I think they're making snowmen or possibly just attacking him."

"Ginny, be a dear and go get your father and the children. Dinner is ready."