34|| Impatient

Draco stood outside the room with his arms folded. The Director wouldn't let him inside so he resigned himself to standing in front of the window with a glower on his face. Days had passed with no improvement to the cure. Days had passed and he did little more than stand there as other Healers worked around him.

"Draco." A soft voice spoke up near his shoulder and a pair of moony eyes regarded him with despair. Slowly, she wrapped her arms around his torso. "Blaise almost has it. The notes she has been providing are genius."

He stiffened at the contact but responded with a curt nod.

"She's going to be fine. I'm on my way to pick up some Ashwinder Eggs and Fire Seeds for Blaise. Do you need anything?"

Draco shook his head as the blonde witch dropped her arms. Ashwinder eggs and Fire Seeds had been Hermione's suggestion. Even when she was deathly ill, she still tried to help, but two days earlier, her condition worsened. She now lay in bed with her eyes closed, twitching as her fever overtook her.

"We almost have it. The French Healer said that they managed to locate a few illness carrying mosquitoes. The wizard they captured decided to cooperate. With the eggs and the source of the illness, Blaise will have it figured out in no time." She gave his arm a light touch before walking down the hall.

Seconds after she had left, another voice replaced hers. "Malfoy." A group of red-headed, freckle covered, wizards in patch covered clothes stood beside him. Ginny opened her moth to say something but was interrupted as her mother pushed her out of the way.

"Oh, Draco, my dear." Two strong arms wrapped around his shoulders. "I brought you some food, dearie. I figured you hadn't eaten yet. Look at you." She placed her hands on his checks and frowned. "You haven't slept either. Those bags will become permanent if you don't take a break." She lifted up a dark grey sweater and smiled. "I also knitted you another sweater, so you won't get cold."

"It's the middle of the summer, Mum." George stated. "He'll more likely die of heatstroke in that thing."

"Nonsense." Mrs Weasley took a basket from Ginny and held it up. "I made you a pie. Steak and kidney bean. Take it. Good." She walked up to the window and shook her head. "How long has she been asleep for?"

"Nearly fourteen hours." The Director walked up at that moment. He held out his hand. "Director Reynolds, at your service. You must be Mrs Weasley. Healer Granger is doing better than we thought, considering her current condition."

"That's such a relief."

Draco's spine stiffened as The Director continued to reassure Mrs Weasley. He respected The Director. He was a good man with a strong love for helping others. Usually, The Director would be upfront and honest about a patient's condition. There was no point giving hope when there was none. This was different though. Draco knew just by looking at him, he was in denial. He knew how severe Hermione's condition was and yet, he still insisted that she was doing well but Draco knew differently. She was struggling to hang on. Fighting for every breath and heartbeat. A gentle hand touching his shoulder suddenly broke his train of thought.

Ginny was looking up at him with an unreadable expression. Wordlessly, her eyes darted towards the hall before they returned to his. She dropped her arm and began walking away.

The meaning was clear and he quietly slipped away from the crowd so he could follow her.

"She's not doing well, is she?" The redhead folded her arms.

"No. She got worse a couple days ago. She isn't as bad as some cases we've seen, but she's not getting any better." Draco glanced back towards the group. "You didn't believe The Director?"