24 || Less Awkward Encounters

Hermione sat in the living room after dinner, staring out into the night. Draco had been dragged into the kitchen by Teddy and the rest of the Weasley grandchildren after dinner resulting in Hermione spending some time alone with Ginny and Harry. Dinner had been less awkward than she anticipated. Everyone acted normally, though Ron didn't say a word to her or about her the entire evening. Maybe things just wouldn't go back to the way they were. She was about to collect Draco and head home when Ron appeared near the doorway.

"Hey, 'Mione. Is it alright if we talk?"

She nodded and motioned for him to sit.

He cracked a few of his knuckles before saying anything. "Dinner was great, wasn't it?"

Small talk wasn't something she was in the mood for tonight, especially when he had pointedly ignored her all evening. "Come on, Ron, just tell me what you came here to say."

"Right. Look, I know our last meeting was less than cordial and I'm sorry for what I said to you."

"It's not me you should be apologizing to."

Ron winced. "Right. I just- Why did you have to bring him? He was such a prat in school and you deserve better-"

"Look, if you're just going to insult Draco, then I'm leaving." She rose from her seat and started for the door.

"No, please." Ron caught her arm. "I didn't mean to. I have difficulty letting go of grudges."

She kept her eyes forward. "I know and I understand, to an extent. When I first started working with him, I had difficulty letting go of my resentment, but then I realized that there was no benefit to it. All I was doing was hurting myself. He's changed, Ron. People can change and he has. Also, it's not like I'm dating him, and even if I were, it's my choice, Ron. Let me make my own choices whether they work out or turn into lessons."

He nodded. "I'm sorry for what I said about him, and to you. I'm sorry for how I treated you while we were together. You were right. I could have taken time off of work during your days off. I know how passionate you are for your work. I wasn't a very good boyfriend."

"And I wasn't a good girlfriend." She turned to face him. "Let's forget about it. We're both sorry for what's happened but that's just it. It's already happened and we can't change that. Let's just forget about it." Lightly placing a hand on his arm, she gave him a sad smile.

"You're right, as usual." He chuckled. "Thank you for coming to dinner tonight. Despite me being here, thank you. It made Mum really happy. She was so worried that she was going to lose you when we broke up."

"Nah, she can't get rid of me that easily." Hermione laughed good-naturedly. "I should get going though. I think I need to go save Draco from your mother. I'll see you around."

~

Hermione entered the kitchen to find a frazzled Draco sitting at the table. His white collar could be seen poking out of the top of a disheveled, chunky looking, green sweater with a large silver "D" on the front of it. A cup of cider was gripped between his hands. His wide eyes were darting around as Mrs. Weasley bustled about him chatting about pies and tarts to take home. Teddy was sitting next to Draco with a firm grip on his sweater sleeve.

"Draco, my hair's the same color as yours now!" The child stuck his tongue out and rested his chin on Draco's arm. "Are you sleeping with aunt Hermione? I don't know what that means but uncle George says that's what happens when a boy and a girl like each other. Did you know I can count to fifty?"

Hermione bit her lip to keep from laughing and cleared her throat. Teddy's head snapped up and he let out a squeal of joy. "Auntie 'Mione!" he bounded over to her and grabbed her middle.

"Hello, Teddy.' She ruffled his hair and pulled him in for a hug. "What happened to your hair? I thought you liked it brown."

The child smiled. "I want to match Draco!"

Relief filled Draco's face the second he saw her. "Hermione." He made to rise when Mrs Weasley clapped her hands.

"My dear, so glad you're here. I was just telling Draco here about the snacks I've packed for you to take home. I've made enough for both of you so don't feel like you need to share. Now, Draco, dear." She placed a hand on his shoulder as he rose. "Feel free to stop by anytime. I'm always here."

Draco gave a slight nod. "Thank you Mrs. Weasley." Teddy had managed to escape Hermione's grip and had latched himself back onto Draco's sleeve.

"Molly. You must call me Molly."

"Yes. Of course." He was struggling to detach himself from the child hanging off his arm.

"Thank you for dinner, Mrs. Weasley. I'm sorry I haven't been able to stop by earlier." Hermione gave her a tight hug.

"Nonsense, dear. I know you've been busy at work. You two travel home safely now. Don't hesitate to ask if you ever need anything." She wrapped her arms tightly around an uncomfortable Draco.

"Let go, Teddy we have to leave. Goodbye." Hermione took Draco's arm and pulled him towards the backdoor. "I'm so sorry to have put you through that." As soon as they had walked far enough from The Burrow she stopped to face him. "Look at you." She pulled at his sweater front. "Did she make you wait as she knitted this for you?"

He chuckled and tugged at the collar. "Well, she might have done just that." Draco slipped his hand into hers. "We should go home."

"Alright, here, give me the sweater. You don't have to keep it."

"What? No. This is my sweater." He turned his shoulder away from her.

She bit her lip to keep from smiling. The evening had not been the nightmare she was expecting it to be. Hermione stepped forward and wrapped her free arm around his middle. He responded by burying his face in her hair.

"What's this for?"

She smiled against his neck. "Thank you, for tonight. I really appreciate it. I know how difficult it was. If you ever need someone to attend uncomfortable family dinners with an ex you've recently broken up with, I'll come."

"That's oddly specific."

She let out a soft huff. "How about if you need someone to step in, in any uncomfortable situation, I'll come?"

He nodded. "That's better. Come on, let's get home."

She reluctantly stepped away from him and let him lead her away.

"Happy Christmas, Hermione."

"Happy Christmas, Draco."

~~~

Hello everyone! Sorry for being absent for a bit, I was in London!! *dreamy look* It was lovely.

Finals are coming up so I have a few big tests and papers due but after that I will post the next chapter. Sometime the middle of December I believe. Thank you to everyone who has read my story thus far. You are the best!