46 || D-Day

Hermione sat behind the Healer's station slowly sipping her cup of tea. The day itself was considerably slower than usual, leaving lots of time for reflection, reality checks, and reevaluations. With the slower day, she also had a lot of time to think about Draco's father and her upcoming visit to the Malfoy Manor. She didn't want to admit to Draco how nervous she was. The last time she stepped, or rather was dragged, into The Manor was a horrific ordeal and she was more than just a little worried that painful memories would be dredged up the second she stepped foot inside.

"Healer Granger?" Two large blue eyes watched her from in front of the Healer's station.

Blinking, Hermione snapped out of her thoughts. "Oh, Sarah. What can I help you with?" She rose from her chair and bent down in front of the girl.

Sarah smiled and shrugged one shoulder. "I'm just here with my brother and wanted to say "Hi", so, Hi." The girl half waved shyly. The girl had recovered miraculously from The Attack all those months ago. Once they figured out how to heal her, her wounds had closed and now all she was left with were angry pink lines over her arms. She attended a weekly meeting with other kids and parents who were impacted by The Attack. Despite the fact that it was her father who caused it, everyone in the group welcomed her, her brother, and her mother openly. Sarah's love and acceptance of everyone had caused the group to respond in kind and within no time, she had already found some friends who agreed to always spend time together no matter which houses they were sorted into.

"Hi?" Hermione laughed. "I've already been to your brother's room today and talked with you. Remember? We talked about different classes you can take at Hogwarts. No, you want something. I know you're brother's here on an account that he's sick, so spit it out. What is it you want?"

"I was actually wondering if Healer Malfoy was in today. I haven't seen him yet." She scuffed her shoe against the floor.

"I'm sorry, Sarah. Healer Malfoy won't be in today, he's with his father." A while ago, Hermione guessed the girl had a minor crush on Draco but had begun growing more strong in her belief as their interactions continued. "He'll be in tomorrow if you're still here." She waggled her eyebrows.

Sarah nodded slowly. "How's he doing? Is he happy?"

Hermione shrugged. "Sure, I guess. He's just busy, ya know?"

"Does he get out much? Do fun things?" She inquired.

"Uh, I think so. He's been kind of busy with his father staying with him. He and I go out to dinner occasionally if we have time. He reads. We go on walks. Drink tea." She racked her mind as she tried to think of some more age appropriate activities that Draco and she did which Sarah could hear about.

"That's good. Is he dating anyone?" She tried to tossed out casually.

Not sure where she was going with this, Hermione folded her arms and raised an eyebrow. "Why? You got a little thing for him?"

Sarah blushed deeply. "Oh, no! I was, I was just wondering if maybe you two had started dating or something?" She swallowed nervously.  "You do so much together."

"Did he say we were dating?"

"He just, I just, I think you two should." Her eyes darted around avoiding Hermione completely. "So does Healer Jeffers! At Christmas we saw you two dancing and when you were sick, Healer Malfoy was really worried about you. Oh! And that one time I came in with the bones missing from my fingers," She held up her hand and wiggled her fingers as if to prove it really happened. "you sounded angry when you called him into your office, so I thought he was in trouble but he came back and told me you'd asked him to dinner. He was so excited then." She had begun talking faster and faster as she went on. "I just thought maybe you two were dating or something. He just likes you so much, I can tell. So, I mean, if you aren't dating then you should."

A slow smile spread across her lips as the girl continued talking. Sarah saw them dancing on Christmas Eve? "Alright, I get it." She smiled and lightly pushed Sarah's shoulder. "You gotta keep it a secret," She winked. "but we are dating." Hermione held one finger up to her lips and smiled slyly at the girl.

"I knew it!" She covered her mouth in alarm when she realized how loudly she spoke. Giggling, she hooked her elbow around Hermione's. Tugging her along, she dropped her voice. "Mama will be so excited! And Healer Jeffers! He also saw you two dancing."

"Healer Jeffers already knows but you can't tell anyone else. Promise?" Not that it really was a secret. Hermione had been getting thumbs up and winks whenever she was seen with Draco inside the hospital which lead her to believe someone had let it slip.

Sarah held up her free hand and gave one hard nod. "Oh, you can count on me but I have to tell mama. She'll be so happy. You two are our favorite Healers, but that's a secret too so you can't tell any of the other Healers."

Hermione lightly nudged the girl with her shoulder. "Fine, you can tell your mom, but that's it."

She beamed at Hermione before giving an awkward wave. "I should get back to my brother." She giggled and bolted down the hallway.

"Don't run!" Hermione called after her, a moot point really as the girl had already made it to her brother's room.