09|| The Morning After

The sunlight was the first thing to wake her the following morning. Happy, golden, beams pushed their way between the blinds and onto her face, greeting a very groggy Granger. Groaning, she tried getting out of bed, only to stumble into the wall. "Ompf." Her legs wobbled as she made her way down the hall, keeping one hand against the wall to make sure it stayed in place as she walked.

"Well, good morning sleepy head. Or should I say, good afternoon?" Draco was in her kitchen, filling two cups with tea.

"What time is it?" She collapsed on her sofa, her head falling towards her knees.

"It's about two o'clock."

"2:00 pm?" Her head snapped up, a poor decision which she instantly regretted. "Oh, my head."

"Here," Draco handed her a hot cup of tea. "It'll help."

She took the cup and groaned again. "Thanks. Don't ever let me do something like that again."

"Drink two full bottles of firewhiskey nearly by yourself? But it was so entertaining."

"Please, if possible, could you speak a little softer? And maybe tell them to put a sock in it?" The usually welcomed melodic singing of birds sounded like an icepick to the temples on this particular morning.

"I'll get right on that." Draco plopped himself down on the armchair in front of her, and stretched his long legs out in front of him. His lips slowly spread into a seductive grin. "Hello."

"This tea is disgusting." She informed him.

"I know, it's not supposed to taste good. Made specifically for hangovers, by yours truly. I also made eggs. A little protein will do you good."

Hermione shook her head, another movement she regretted. "I'm not hungry."

"But you should eat something. It'll help." He rocked himself out of the chair and walked into the kitchen. "One egg or two?"

"One, will do." She heaved herself off the sofa and stumbled to the kitchen table, where she promptly rested her cheek against the cool wood.

Draco dropped a plate in front of her; three fried eggs sat next two pieces of toast.

"Pretty sure I said one egg." She grumbled. "Thanks. Oh, I should have been to work hours ago."

"I owled them. Told them you were really sick last night, something you ate. Or drank." He smirked slightly as she winced at his comment. "You're off for the day." He slumped into the chair beside her and grinned.

"Ron's supposed to come over." She rubbed her eyes and groaned again. 'He's coming to get his stuff."

"Ah, yes... About that." He shifted uncomfortably in his chair. "He already came over."

Her frown turned into an 'O' as she realized the implications.

"Yes, he was less than pleased to see me here at nine in the morning and after a brief..." He searched for the right word. 

~

Draco had opened Hermione's front door to reveal a disgruntled looking Ron. His eyes widened and then narrowed. "What are you doing here?" He hissed.

Draco leaned back and glared at the red-head. "Cleaning up the mess you made."

Ron's face started turning red. "What mess?"

He rolled his eyes. "Last night, you wanker. Don't you remember? You dumped her."

Ron 's face was now darker than his hair. "Sod off! She was fine when I left her, and we broke up mutually. She was fine with it."

He walked outside and closed the door so Hermione wouldn't wake up. "Well, that was before she got home last night."

"You've been here since last night?" Ron was yelling now.

Draco glared at him. "Quiet, she's still asleep." He snapped. "Yes, I've been here since last night. Don't look so angry. I only made sure she got to her bed and then I started cleaning her flat." That was only partially true but Draco didn't feel the need to explain what had actually happened last night. "Look, you can come back tomorrow for your stuff, she's not going to work today."

"I'll get my stuff now!"

Draco held up a hand as he stepped in front of the door. "If you care for her at all then you'll let her be today. Just come back and grab your stuff tomorrow. She'll leave the key under the doormat or something."

After a few more choice words and hexing threats, Ron trudged away.

~

"After a brief discussion, he was persuaded to leave and return tomorrow while you're at work." Discussion wasn't the correct word but it was kinder than what had actually ensued.

Her bloodshot eyes took a scan of her living room and kitchen. The dirty dishes from the previous day were no longer in the sink, the Healer's robe and purse that had been tossed on the floor the night before were hanging in the corner. "You cleaned my flat."

"Well I didn't have anything else to do while you were completely trollied, now did I?" He had woken up hours before her and began working on the mess. Cleaning the bathroom, the living room, the kitchen, anything he thought even looked slightly dirty, he cleaned it.

"I had no idea that you knew how to clean a house." She took a bite of her toast.

"Believe me, living with Blaise taught me how to clean up really fast. He's the messiest person I know. Merlin, whoever marries him will have her hands full."

"Isn't he dating Pansy right now? Or were you dating her?"

"Neither. She's actually dating Theo at the moment. Not that you could tell, the way those two go off on each other like a pair of angry dogs." Draco placed a finger under her chin and lifted it so he could look at her properly. "You look awful. Bloody hideous right now. I suggest you take a shower." His lips curled in disgust. "And brush your teeth. Your breath could melt the face off a troll."

She scowled, he was right, she did need a shower, and to brush her teeth. "Where are you going?" He had made quick work of putting on his shoes.

"As much as I'd like to join you for a shower, I need to get home and get changed. I may not have work today, but I have many other things I need to do. One of which is cleaning up after Blaise, I'm sure." After taking a sip of her hangover tea and tossing her a playful wink, he left the flat.

Hermione closed her eyes in regret. He wasn't supposed to see that last night. She hadn't meant to get utterly plastered last night, a small drink and then off to bed was all she intended but things got out of control when she realized the awkwardness that visiting the Weasley house in the future would bring. She felt like she was going to lose Ron, Harry, Ginny, and the entire Weasley clan in this break-up and for some reason she couldn't stop drinking. Rising from her seat, she let out a heavy sigh before trudging towards the bathroom.

~~~

Next Chapter Preview:

Hermione blinked in surprise. "You're not angry?"

"Why would I be angry?"

"Well... I know you and your family wanted Ron and I to get married. You're not mad that I won't be your sister-in-law?"

Ginny reached out and took Hermione's hand. "You're already my sister, 'Mione. I don't need a law to make that official."